Footpath

Noah's eyes flicker up to meet mine, covered slightly by the strands of hair that fall stubbornly out of place. As soon as I ask, I regret it. It's none of my business if he tells them or not. He doesn't have to. It has nothing to do with them or me. It's personal and to do with Noah on his own. I realise this too late however, and want nothing more than to sweep up the words I'd let fall thoughtlessly.

"Nevermi-"

"No not y-"

We both start and stop simultaneously, letting our unfinished words hang in silence. Noah clears his throat and tries again.

"Not yet." He brushes his hair out of his eyes and stands straight form leaning on the banister.

"Right." My voice is low and barely audible to myself, but Noah hears it and nods. "I didn't mean to be nosy." Noah nods again, this time with a small smile.

"Nah, it's all good." His eyes meet mine, and I watch intently as the ends squint together and the slightest hint of of his laugh lines appear. Feeling my face subtly heat up, I break contact and bite the inside of my cheek.

"I should go, it's almost dusk." I balance on my heels and glance inside my apartment.

"Yeah, sure. You're fasting right?" I nod and lean forward on my toes.

"Yeah. I guess you're not." I indicate to the bottle in his hands and offer a non-judgmental smile- at least what I hope comes across as a non-judgmental smile. Noah takes it as it is and smiles broadly himself.

"Baby steps."

"Okay." I nod as I take a couple of steps backwards towards my door, half wanting to leave and half wanting to stay and chat or sit in comfortable silence.

"Ramadan Kareem." I turn at the door and give Noah a genuine smile.

"Allahu Akram."

"I have no idea what that means." I laugh and Noah chuckles. "But thanks."

~*~

Ramadan passes and Eid comes and goes. It's the first time I've spent Eid on my own, and I mostly spent the day busying myself with Uni and not dwelling on all the festivities going on back home.

The weeks have been flying by this semester. The days are short and the nights are long and time keeps moving. I have no option but to keep up with it, and I don't mind really, it keeps me preoccupied.

I take the stairs down to the mailboxes, a pit stop before I head off to campus. My legs bounce lethargically as I take the last step onto the ground landing, and I hitch my backpack more comfortably on my shoulders.

Noah's here; standing at his mailbox, with his back to me as he sorts through the envelopes in his hands. I haven't seen him since the evening on the balcony, and I think it's been three weeks since. I know I've been busy, but I've still been hanging out on the balcony occasionally. Noah however, hasn't. I know he's a third year, but I didn't realise Uni would become that hectic. That, or he's making more of an effort with his social life.

I approach with caution, walking quietly to my mailbox next to his.

"Hi." I say. His head snaps to the side as I speak and a grin appears.

"Hey, morning." I unlock my mailbox and gather the few envelopes I've received. Internet, gas, water, power and a hand written envelope with the name Madison Stewart lettered in cursive. My curiostity peeks and I turn it over to open, the mailing address halts me however. It's for N. Sheppard. For Noah. Just like the other two I'd mistakenly received.

"I think this is yours." I hold out the envelope to him, and he takes it, looking slightly confused. I however ignore it and whoever Madison Stewart could be.