The Thunder Rolls

The Thunder Rolls

Authors Note: This short story is based off the song 'The Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks. Please enjoy it ^_^

Thunder cackled outside. She stretched her fingers to the other part of the bed. And felt nothing. She snapped her eyes open, and turned to look at the other side of the bed. There was no one there.

Thunder sounded from above, shaking the little house. Nora pulled her feet over the bed and onto the cold hardwood floor. The clock read 3:30 AM. Where could he be?  Did something happen?

She was scared.  Lifting herself from the warm bed, Nora walked down the hallway towards the living room. She didn’t have enough strength to turn the lights on. All she wanted was darkness. Her arms wrapped tightly around her stomach. A bolt of lightning sliced through the sky, illuminating light through the window.

All Nora wished for was that were the headlights of her husband’s truck coming up the driveway. But it wasn’t. She checked the phone, and found no missed calls. Nothing. She collapsed into the sofa that was next to it. Hot tears started to slowly drop down her face.

“Don’t let this be true.” She whispered.

Bringing her knees towards her, Nora rested her head on them. She just wanted to cry. To curl up in the dark and stay there for hours.

Thunder cackled in her ears, as rain pounded against the roof. And another sound surfaced. It sounded like a truck. Nora jumped up racing towards the window that faced the road. She placed her hands against the cold glass and looked out. She felt like a little child, waiting for her dad to get home.

Nora caught sight of someone behind the wheel. And she knew it was him. She turned around, her feet slipping against the hardwood floor, as she ran towards the door. Fingers fumbling for the lock. Body shaking with fear and happiness. Nora ran outside, her feet slapping into the rain puddles. She didn't bother grabbing any shoes at the time.

The truck had turned off, and the shadow looked as if it hesitated. Nora ran her fingers against the truck, feeling the familiar dents in it. The door opened, and he stepped out.

She smiled and threw herself towards him, holding him in a hug. Arms slowly wrapped around her.

"What happened?" She whispered.

"The roads were bad, so I had to stay at Kevins house." He said stiffly.

"Didn't you say you were at Tims house?" Nora released her grip a little bit.

Silence. He swallowed his throat and said. "Tim was with us at Kevins."

"Oh..." Nora sighed. "I'm just glad your safe." She placed her head against his chest, and they just stood there. She inhaled all the familiar scents. Until she smelled something different.

She froze. It smelled fruity. Like Strawberry's. Was this perfume?

Nora glanced up look at him. In that moment, lightning flashed and she saw a little bit of lipstick left on his cheek.

In that moment he knew that Nora knew. She pushed away from him. She could see it in his eyes.

"Nora." He whispered, extending his arms toward her.

She stepped back again. And turned around heading towards the house. Hot tears flooded her vision. She stepped into a puddle and slipped falling face forward.

Nora threw her hands in front if her. Her hands slid, trying to get a grip. Her knees dropped against the cement. She stayed like that for a moment. Tears dripped onto the cement.

"Nora!" The voice was closer.

She struggled to stand up, and began to run towards the house. Her legs didn't want to work. She got through the door, and closed it behind her. Her cold, icy fingers grabbed for the lock, turning it.

"Please Nora! Open the door!" He yelled, banging in the door.

She slid down, against the door. She felt blood from a scrape ooze down her leg. Her tears had already dried up, and now she was just silent. Staring into space. She could never forgive him. It was all over.

All she felt was emptiness