The One That Got Away

2nd Short Story!                                        

 Its based on the Katy Perry song "The One That Got Away." I thought it would be kinda cool to have the main character, Lacey, sing the song as if she wrote it. But of course of copyright song stuff gos to Katy Perry. (:

The ' ~*~*~*~' signify differed times in her life. From the years 17, 18, 19, and 21." There may be some mistakes too, and I'm sorry about that! But please enjoy. (: Also there will be a little cussing. But there is only like two cuss words, so I don't think you need to worry.

                                                    The One That Got Away

“Lacey! I think that boy is staring at you.” Shay giggled, as we exited the front doors of High School. I had just graduated, and everyone had to go to school and get their things from the lockers. Younger high school kids had sent all the seniors dirty looks, as we all skipped outside.

I adjusted my grasp on my books, and turned to look at the boy. He was leaning against a black mustang, no doubt his, and was glancing at me. When I turned to glance at him, a smirk spread across his lips.

“Lae-Lae! He likes you!” Shay crooned.

“Oh shut up!” I growled, feeling a smile tug on my mouth

Shay rolled her eyes, and retrieved her car keys from the back pocket of her jeans. “You wanna ride with me?”

“Duh. I have no one else to drive me home, since my cars in the shop.” I said, bitterly.

Shay dropped her books on the roof of her car, as she inserted the key into the lock.  I groaned, “God, Shay-La you need a new car.”

The lock clicked and she swung the door open. “What’s wrong with Super Pickle? He’s a good car.” She patted the roof of her navy blue Honda Accord.

“You named it…Super Pickle?” I asked, trying to contain my laughter. “Why didn’t you name it Bob? Or Betty? Or even Joe?”

“Those names are so common.” Shay rolled her eyes.

“OK, well then how  did you come up with it?”

“Well I was eating my favorite snack- PICKLES! And it just came to me.” She grinned.

“So your cars name is Super Pickle? A husky voice asked.

 We turned around to see the boy that was leaning again the black mustang, staring at us humor written all over his face.

 “You say that like it’s a bad thing.” Shay said.

“Its not.” He laughed softly. “I’m Hayden Grey. And you two are…?” 

 “You sound familiar.” Shay said. “And my names Shay Walker.”

“Yea I transferred here in the middle of the year. You might know me.” He winked.

“Lacey Reynolds.” I smiled.

“It’s nice to meet you Lacey. Very nice to meet you.” Hayden grinned.

                                                                     ~*~*~*~

“Lacey...I love you.” His voice was barely above a whisper.

 “I love you too, Hayden.” I murmured. He smiled softly, and cupped my chin with his hand, and pressed his left hand against the nape of my neck. My breath caught in my throat. He pulled me towards him. My hands ran through his ruffled brown hair, clinging to it. His lips pressed against mine. I felt a jolt of electricity shoot through us.