Started Running But There's Nowhere To Run To

The scream sliced right through the air, into the car, into my ears, then right across my brain. Derek swerved the car to the side of the road, almost crashing in his haste to pull over. 

The scream stopped abruptly, leaving me feeling like the breath had been sucked out of my lungs that rushed back in with a long, shuddering gasp. We were both silent, waiting for another scream to follow, but there was nothing. I knew exactly where the scream came from and who it belonged to.

"Lydia..." Derek murmured, which I just about heard over the ringing in my ears. The look on his face wasn't one of fear like I was feeling; it was pure determination sheathed in desperation. 

The engine growled as he put his foot on the accelerator and I barely had time to comprehend what he was doing before the Camaro's tires were squealing and we were speeding back the way we came. When we passed the sign welcoming us to Beacon Hills and I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry.

That small flame of hope - so tiny I hadn't realized it was even there - that we could run away was extinguished just like that.

We were halfway to the loft when Derek stopped the car so suddenly I had to throw my hands out to catch myself on the dash. I turned to ask why the hell he was stopping on some random street when he said, "Get out." 

I stared at him, bewildered. "What?"

"You're not coming." He said, eyes hardening when he met my gaze.

"Of course I am," I frowned. "You honestly expect me to let you go alone?"

"Yes," his voice rang with authority, but when his eyes shone blue I was reminded that Derek was no longer my Alpha. Just my idiotic, altruistic older brother.

"Fuck that," I snapped. "I'm coming with you."

"Three hours ago you were on your deathbed because of me," he said, voice so full of guilt and self-loathing that the words actually sounded painful to say. "Erica and Boyd are dead because of me - don't even argue." He cut me off when I opened my mouth to do just that. "I'm not risking your life again. I'm not an Alpha, but I'm still your brother, and it's my job to keep you safe." I was floored not just by his words, but the intensity behind them, and Derek held my gaze. "Now get out of the car or I'll make you."

It wasn't an empty threat. It would be an even fight now, but every moment we wasted was another moment Lydia was in danger. So instead of arguing or folding my arms and refusing to move until I was forcibly removed from the car, I fumbled with my seat belt and reached blindly for the door handle. It took me two attempts to open the door and I stumbled out onto the empty street, holding onto the open door in indecision.

"Go to Peter's place," Derek said, reaching over to grab the handle of the door. "He'll take you somewhere safe."

And with that the car door slammed and Derek drove off, leaving me stood alone on the sidewalk staring at the tail-lights as they got further and further away. Even after they disappeared I stood there, uselessly staring in the direction he'd gone until I finally had the presence of mind to move from the edge of the empty sidewalk and over to the side of a building, leaning against it for support.

"Well shit..." I said, and choked off the hysterical laugh that attempted to follow the words. What the hell did I do now?

-x-x-x-

The recent storms the Darach had been causing had completely destroyed what had been left of the Hale house.

Thunder rumbled overhead like an angry and violent roar from the heavens, lightning slicing through the dark clouds a second later. The rain was cold and razor sharp on my skin as I stared up at the broken, burnt, dark and crumbling shell that used to be my house.