How Did It Start, Where Does It End?

Derek was still miraculously alive when I woke up the next morning, and though he hadn't moved an inch I was reassured by the heartbeat I could hear across the room.

I rolled him over to examine the wound on his back. It was slowly healing, as were my own wounds from last night, and I took a freezing cold shower under the watchful eyes of the creepy fish to rid myself of the blood both old and fresh, being careful not to aggravate my wounds too much.

When midday came and Derek still hadn't so much as twitched I decided we needed food if we were going to be here a while, especially for when Derek woke up and needed his strength back. My eyes were drawn to the bloodied shirts I'd discarded in the corner and added 'new clothes' to the list of necessities.

I frowned, eyes trailing over Derek's prone form. If he was awake he'd abolish the idea of me going into town alone, wounded, and vulnerable to the Hunters. But Derek wasn't awake, and I couldn't just sit around waiting for him to wake up.

I pulled on my hoodie and took the cash from Derek's wallet, locked the front door and pushed a chair up against it, and left through the window in case everyone decided to check the room - though I doubted this place had a maid.

An two hours later I climbed back through the window with a backpack full of food and a few clothes, half expecting to find Derek awake when I got back, ready to yell at me for the careless attitude I'd adopted. But he was still unconscious on the bed where I'd left him.

I dropped the bag beside the door and rummaged through the bloody clothes in the corner until I found my jeans, searching through the pockets until I located my phone. Luck was on my side for once; I'd been prepared for the thing to be smashed to pieces after I was thrown about last night but it was still working, the only damage a crack in the corner of the screen. 

I found the number I needed and put the phone to my ear, anxiety growing with each ring until -

"Ginger?"

I let out the breath I didn't realize I'd been holding. "Scott. Thank God."

"You're alive?" He asked in disbelief. Stiles was in the background talking incessantly until Scott shushed him. "Is Derek -"

"Hurt, but not dead yet." I said with a smile. I could barely believe it. They'd survived. "What the hell happened last night?"

Scott hesitated and even Stiles was silent. I could practically hear them share a look and thought for a second I thought he wasn't going to tell me, but he launched into the story, starting almost directly after they'd fled into the school.

Their first plan to escape imminent death was to outrun the giant killer werewolf, get to Stiles' jeep, and drive off into the night. That plan was immediately foiled when the Alpha ripped out the jeep's battery and threw it through a window over their heads. The next plan was to call the police, and then they dismissed that plan because they didn't want the Alpha 'going completely Terminator' and killing every cop on sight.

Plan B was get the keys to Derek's car and drive away (with mine and Derek's bodies in the back, either for sentimental reasons or because they thought the Alpha might eat us) and were about to put that plan into action when they were discovered by a janitor who didn't believe them about the danger and was promptly killed by the Alpha.

Plan C was to trap the Alpha in the basement and flee, but instead of running away while they had the chance Stiles broke every rule about how to treat a caged killer: don't stick around for a quick look, don't taunt the beast that could kill you, don't tell the beast you're not scared of it, and run away while you have the chance. While they weren't running away the Alpha escaped and that was the end of plan C.