They Who Keep Company With Wolves Will Learn To Howl

Scott calling me when I was trying to sleep was becoming a bit of a habit.

"What?" I whined into the phone, rubbing at my tired eyes as I rolled onto my back. The bed in this poor excuse for a motel was as uncomfortable as it looked even with the blankets and pillows we'd stolen from the room next door.

I wish I'd just turned my damn phone off.

"This is going to sound weird," Scott warned me as I pushed myself up so I could sit on the edge of the bed. "But I was leaving Allison's house and the Alpha came after me and he... drew something!"

Well. Okay. That did sound weird. "He drew something?" I repeated as my eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room.

"With his claws!" He said, voice rising in pitch as I failed to grasp the urgency of this. "On my mom's car! He scratched it into the window!"

All tiredness was driven from my brain when I processed Scott's words. "Where are you now?" I said, holding the phone between my ear and my shoulder as I pulled on my boots.

"At my house, what -"

"Lock the door and don't leave the house." I ordered. "I'll be there in five."

I heard something fall over as Scott presumably walked into it in his haste to do as I said. "Yeah, okay."

I hung up and pulled on my jacket, finding Derek's number and hitting call. "What's wrong?" Derek answered on the second ring.

"Where are you?" I asked instead of answering, pulling my arm through the other sleeve and juggling my phone.

"On my way back, why?"

"Keep driving, I'll meet you." I said as I stepped out into the chilly night air. As soon as the door closed behind me I set off at a run down the road, scanning for the car. "Something's happened - I'll explain on the way." Headlights rounded the corner and I hung up. When Derek pulled to a stop next to me I jumped into the car.

"Scott's house." I instructed as I buckled my seat belt. Derek turned the car around without hesitation.

We made it to Scott's in record time and in the glare of the headlights the problem became obvious. Derek and I stood in silence, the growling of the Camaro's engine probably waking the neighbours, but that was the least of our worries.

"He's not finished yet." Derek growled, eyes locked on the spiral the Alpha had engraved on the car's window.

Against my better judgement I let Derek talk to Scott while I headed to the Argent's house in the hopes of catching a scent to follow. I knew it was useless but I couldn't stand the thought of sitting around doing nothing. 

By the time the sun came up the next morning we still had absolutely zero idea who the Alpha was or who his next victim would be. By midday caffeine had stopped being effective and I retired to the motel to get a couple of hours sleep while Derek... did whatever he was doing. I didn't know what he was up to and I didn't care, I just needed some sleep before I ran myself into the ground.

Four hours was all I got before Derek stormed into the motel room, threw my jacket at me and practically dragged me to the car. He didn't answer any of my questions the entire drive, remaining stone-faced and intense as he drove, and it left me wondering what the hell he'd discovered that had him so determined.

"We're at the vets." I said ten minutes later when Derek pulled into the empty parking lot.

"I'm going inside," He jerked his head towards the building, eyes still burning with that same intensity. "Stay here until I come get you." He grabbed a crumpled sheet of paper from the dash and pulled himself out of the car.