Chapter nine

When the sun rose in the morning, Naruto found himself in bed with Nara, while Gaara was nowhere to be seen. The blonde sat up, rubbing his eyes and searching the room.
"Gaara?"
There was no response, so Naruto wandered out of the bedroom. Sea green eye's found him in an instant as they dislodged themselves from a book. A blush covered Naruto's entire face at what he saw. Gaara had stretched his long body across a futon in the far corner of the room. His lengthy legs were bent slightly at the knees as he rested his back against the wall, and there was a strange look in his eyes as he watched Naruto closely. The blonde took a deep breath, after remembering how to, and grinned at the Kazekage.
"Nara's still asleep." He said quietly, walking over and standing in front of the sitting leader. The redhead nodded, closing the book before Naruto could see what it was.
"Naruto, do you trust me?"
"Yeah, why?" Naruto's answer was instantaneous, sure.
"Then forget about the Uchiha."
Naruto said nothing, still trying to understand why Gaara wouldn't budge on this subject, even last night the redhead has sent Naruto back alone and with no answers.
"I can't do that, Gaara." He said quietly, looking away. He didn't want to see the disappointment in Gaara's eyes. A soft hand clasped his chin firmly, yet somehow gentle, and lifted his face. The older boy had stood and was looking at him. Bright blue met somber green as Gaara simply looked at him. A thousand words were conveyed in that simple look than would ever be said, and Naruto suddenly understood. Gaara was worried about him, and he distrusted Sasuke. Naruto allowed himself to smile, reassuring the elder boy as well as himself.

"Stay with me? With Nara?" Gaara asked so softly only Naruto could hear him. Naruto blushed as he felt the Kazekage's breath on his face. He was having a hard time even thinking straight; much less forming words to speak out loud. The need for words, however, was soon forgotten as Gaara pressed his lips to Naruto's for the second time. The kiss lasted much longer than the first one, both boys standing motionless, lips pressed together but unmoving. When they broke apart, Naruto pushed Gaara away slightly, looking away. Gaara had kissed him again and… and it had felt so good. When he kissed Sasuke, both times, he felt nothing like this. His lips were tingling, and somehow he knew that if any other person, woman or man, it wouldn't matter, had tried that, he wouldn't have reacted that way. Gaara was looking at the blonde, watching as different emotions crossed his face, before he finally looked back into his eyes.
"Gaara… I-" He began. Gaara waited for him to finish, but words never came. Instead Gaara found himself in a lip lock. Surprised, he took a half step backward. Naruto caught this and slipped his arm around Gaara's waist to keep him from going any further. The Kazekage was shocked. First, Naruto had pushed him away; now his… how did his tongue get in his mouth? Just as Naruto's hand grazed Gaara's hip, there was a knock at the door.
"Gaara, Naruto! Can we come in?"
It was Temari, and Kankuro judging by the 'we'. Naruto pulled away from the kiss and both boys panted for a moment before Gaara answered.
"Yes."

"You mean we need to return right now? They found information on Sasuke!?" Naruto exclaimed. The four of them were sitting on the floor near the door.
"Yes, we received word this morning." Temari said. She had her hand over her face and was looking anywhere but Gaara. Naruto stopped talking, suddenly aware of the way Gaara was suddenly sullen and glaring at the same time. He'd almost forgotten what they had been talking about just before the rest of the siblings had come. The blonde suddenly found himself blushing redder than Gaara's hair.
"I-I'm going to go check on Nara…" Naruto sputtered, rushing into the next room. Temari and Kankuro watched in confusion before turning to their brother.
"I'm sorry. I know you were going to stay a while longer Gaara…" Temari said quietly, and Kankuro nodded. The red head merely shrugged and waved toward the door.
"Thank you, we'll be out in a moment. Please check the rooms out while we clean up."
With a nod the siblings stood and left the room.

The five of them left the bath house later that morning, and ran the entire way back to the village. They arrived in suna around four o'clock, and split from there. Nara was left with the two siblings, while Naruto and Gaara both went straight to the Kazekage's office. Not a word between the two was spoken until after they had seated themselves in Gaara's personal office.
"Gaara, what do you think they found?" Naruto asked. Gaara said nothing, and used his sand to open the door.
"Kazekage-sama." The man greeted. He was tall, and had a strange mask around his face and eye's that looked more cat-shaped and had human pupils. Gaara nodded, and waved his hand, a sign to continue.
"I am Yamato, temporary replacement captain for team Kakashi. Hokage-sama sent me here to fetch Naruto-kun for a mission."
Gaara nodded.
"Yes, I am aware. The decision is completely up to Naruto, he will leave as soon as he is ready."

"Gaara… about earlier…" Naruto began. Gaara ignored him in favor of stirring some of the sauce he was making. It was late in the evening, and both of them had returned to Gaara's home after retrieving their son. The entire time, Gaara had not spoken to Naruto, and even now he would not say a word. If Naruto was going to leave, then Gaara wasn't going to stop him. No matter how much he wanted the blonde to stay, no matter how much he'd begun to get used to waking up next to him in the morning, no matter what reason. But for Gaara not to ask, no beg, for Naruto to stay, he had to keep his mouth shut completely.
"Gaara please! Talk to me~!" Naruto whined, setting his hand on the older male's shoulder. Gaara shrugged it off and continued stirring. Now Naruto was angry, why was Gaara acting like this? If he was going be like this, then Naruto should just leave him here. It wasn't like he was leaving permanently, just for a while. He was sure Gaara would understand; he had a promise to keep.