Promised

I sit on my springy mattress, replaying the kiss I shared with Kipp in my head. I frown each time I remember the way he pulled away so suddenly.

He said he'll come and get you for breakfast tomorrow, he just has a lot to do, I reassure myself over and over.

A series of knocks come from my door. I pull myself to my feet and open it to see Janson standing, arms crossed, on the other side.

I completely forgot about him taking me back to read to the book because I was so caught up in Kipp. I mentally curse myself for being so boy-crazy all of a sudden.

"C'mon." He says quietly, to not wake up the people in the rooms surrounding mine. His light brown hair is slightly more disheveled than usual and in the moment I realise just how young he is- probably just a couple years older than me, 19 or 20.

I nod and step out of my room, closing the door gently behind me.

My mind wanders as we walk to how used to this place I am already, strangely enough. Although I've only been here around a week, - it's hard to tell, but I began marking the wall most nights before I slept- I feel already accustomed to the few faces I know, the Captain, Janson...Kipp.

Janson leads me into the tight, dark hall that ends in the wooden door of the room which holds the book.

I feel his hand wrap around mine as the darkness coats us. I grip it tightly.

We walk in silence until the faint glow from under the door comes into view. Janson opens the door, stepping aside to let me in first.

The book sits on the wooden desk, where I left it. I walk around the desk and stop in front of it, the door clicks shut after Janson.

He slumps down in an old-looking chair in the corner of the room, propping his head on a fist.

I look up at him, his eyes are closed. "Are you...okay?" I ask hesitantly, not wanting to pry.

He opens his eyes and sighs. "Just got a lot on my mind." He smiles at me weakly, and sits up straighter in the chair. "Sorry, I'm awake, you can ask me any questions you have about what you read."

I furrow my brows slightly. "So you know everything about me, you know exactly who I was...before all this."

He looks down at the worn carpet floor in front of him, resting his elbows on his knees. "I guess so." He says simply.

"And it's all in here." I poke the book, my voice getting a little sharper though I don't really know why.

I suddenly feel too exposed, this boy is practically a stranger yet he knows me better than I know myself.

He looks up, finally meeting my gaze. A strange look resides on his face. "This isn't common knowledge," He shakes his head, his voice firm but wrapped with concern. "We don't let just anyone down here, there are very few people that know the contents of the whole book. I promise you that."

I clench my jaw, looking down, sliding into the chair behind me. "How many?"

"Just myself, the Captain, Doctor Grendi and Kipp." His voice falters on Kipp's name and my head snaps up at the mention of him. He knows everything about me, maybe that's why he decided to leave so quickly earlier, maybe I'm a monster.