The Otherside

A boy- my age- stands at the edge of the cliff overlooking the lake at the edge of town. He gazes out across the horizon, his bronze hair fluttering in the breeze. He is beautiful, not handsome, beautiful. His golden skin seems to glow in the dying sunlight and his blue eyes are alive with something I can't recognize, but makes my heart beat stronger.

He turns to me, slowly. "I suppose I'll see you on the other side, Ali." His voice is soft and smooth like honey and the way he says my name melts something in my chest.

I try to walk towards him but I am stuck, frozen. I try to scream as he turns back towards the water.

"I'll find you when you get there." He says- so lightly I almost miss it- before he steps off the cliff and plunges to the lake far below.

***

I wake with a jerk, my forehead glazed with a thin layer of sweat and my head filled with the image of the beautiful boy.

For a minute I expect to be back in town, waking up in my bed for a new day of emptiness, but when I open my eyes and blink away the sleep, I remember what had happened at the Meeting. I am still at Camp Haven.

I don't know whether to be happy or not.

"You're awake." A familiar voice mutters from beside me. I turn towards it. Kipp stands from his seat and crosses his arms across his chest. His hair is messy and slightly matted. Was he here with me this whole time?

I turn back and look up at the ceiling. I remain quiet despite the flurry of questions swimming in my mind.

Kipp takes a careful step closer to me. "Listen-" he starts before I cut him off.

"Please," I beg, tears threatening to spill from my eyes- though I don't quite understand why. "don't. Just leave me."

Kipp clenches his jaw. His eyes are apologetic though he doesn't say anything more. He turns and walks out, hands in his pockets.

When I'm alone, I let the tears come. I allow myself to sob until I don't have the energy to anymore.

I cry for everything that has been lost, though I don't remember what has been.

When my eyes are dry and my vision clear, I decide to scan my surroundings- might as well get as much information about this place as I can.

I push myself up wearily from mattress I am sprawled on. My head spins a little from the sudden movement, I focus on breathing.

Once I regain my composure, I start scanning the room. The walls are a dull, yellowy-brown and are cracked in the corners. Definitely untouched by the Offbeats. There is only one door in the boxy room and no windows. The air is slightly damp and little patches of mold appear in intervals across the walls- I'm definitely underground.

I dangle my legs off the raised bed and let my bare feet touch the cold concrete floor. My shoes sit next to the wall neatly, I quickly stuff my feet into them- let's see where that door leads.

Before I can embrace my new-found confidence, footsteps echo in the hall outside the door.

I quickly kick off my shoes and slide them back into place as best I can, then hug my legs close to my chest. Best to play this frightened little girl card for as long as possible.