Miserable at Best

I guess that I can live without you

But without you I'll be miserable at best.

~Mayday Parade, "Miserable at Best"

Michael’s POV

When Calum and I come back from the studio, we find Luke with his arms around Ashton in the customary position with his chin resting on Ashton’s hair. Calum and I snap photos and snicker, but he makes me promise not to put them on Twitter. He’s no fun.

We make ourselves dinner and sit down alone at the table. Calum’s just eating bread and nothing else, and I’m eating a sandwich. We eat quietly until, unable to hold it any longer, I declare, “I think Ashton is in love with Luke.”

Calum chokes and starts to cough. After a minute he stops, eyes watering, and says. “Uh, what did you say?”

“You heard me. I think Ash is in love with Luke.”

“Are you sure about that?”

“No, I said I think that he is.”

“Why would you say something like that?” Calum asks, on edge.

“Have you seen the way Ash looks at him?”

“Uh, how?”

“Kind of like Luke is the sun and the moon all in one.”

“I haven’t really been watching.”

“It’s kind of funny, actually. He follows Luke around like a lost puppy. I think maybe he cares about Luke as much as Luke cares about him, maybe even more.”

Calum shifts on his chair. “Don’t bet on it.”

My eyes grow wide. Wait--

“Are you saying--”

Calum’s eyes widen to match mine, a dead giveaway. “Nope. Nope, nope, nope. I’m not saying anything.”

“You are!” I accuse, breaking out into a grin. “Sorry, but I ship them.”

“You’re such a fangirl.”

“All aboard. Hop on while there’s still time.”

“It’s all speculation! We can’t say anything, Michael.”

“Of course not. Can we try to get them together?”

“No!” Calum yelps. “Absolutely not. We’re both staying out of this.”

“Damn.”

---

Ashton's POV

It’s my turn to go songwriting with Luke, which is a terrible idea because Calum and Michael will get nothing done if they have each other. Incorrigible, the both of them.

“Luuuke, I want something to eat,” I beg, tugging on Luke’s arm like a small child. “Please?”

Luke rolls his eyes. “You have money.”

“I forgot my wallet.”

Luke wavers, but I know he’ll say yes, and he does. We swing into the nearest bakery and pick out some pastries. We take them and sit down at the table.

I start eating right away. Luke takes a reasonable bite and starts to experiment with lyrics in his notebook. When I’m done, he passes the notebook to me and I start reading.

For once, he’s writing really happy music. Which is unusual, because the stuff he usually writes (and we sometimes scratch) is depressing as hell. He’s starting to sleep better, so maybe he’s just happier. I smile.