Chapter 24

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

It had been nearly a week since Max was dispatched home. He had been on his road to recovery ever since. Some of his wounds were still healing but he was doing well so far. My working schedule was shorter, less hours to be able to be home early and help him with Mia. Max had insisted on leaving Mia with him instead of taking her to my parents' house like every other morning. I didn't want to since he was supposed to be resting and Mia was quite active and playful around him. After a whole lot of disagreement, I eventually caved. He wanted father and daughter time with her and that was something I couldn't deny.

I had just arrived home from work when I entered our room. Max and Mia were on the bed. He had his laptop on his lap and Mia was laying on her back next to him, giggling at Max as he tickled her feet. Since Max couldn't go to the offices of his company yet, he replied to emails and worked from home.

"Hey," I said as I walked to the edge of his bedside, leaning to kiss him, my fingers touching the stubble in his jaw. Not long after our lips connected, Max grunted into the kiss. I pulled away, thinking it had been me who had hurt him. "Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

"I'm fine. This little firecracker was the one who kicked me" He replied, turning to Mia and setting his open mouth in her belly before blowing into it causing a funny sound. Max's ribs were still slightly bruised from the accident, Mia's kick had hurt him.

I shook my head at their silliness as I held a smile.

I was lying in bed with my head on Max's chest. I had tried to decline, not wanting to hurt him after Mia did and since his bruises were still fainting. After removing my work clothes and getting comfy, I made lunch for the three of us. We were now resting. Mia was in her nursery, taking her afternoon nap. Max stroke my back, his fingers caressing me, going from my shoulder blades to the small of my back and up again. It was soothing and relaxing.

He brought me closer to him, pulling one of my legs between his. He brought his other hand to my thigh, keeping the other one in my back and enveloping me with his arms.

"Do you want to go for a walk around the park later?" I spoke in almost a whisper.

"Maybe" He nuzzled my hair before continuing, "Or we can stay here and do something better" He suggested. I could feel him grinning.

"Don't even think about it. You're still healing" I said, peering up at him.

"I promise, I'll be fine" Max pouted as he practically whined, adding puppy eyes to the act.

"No. I won't change my mind" I laughed.

"I can try" He grinned, becoming cocky.

My lips met his as we kissed. Max's tongue started to ask for entrance which soon turned into begging when his hand went to my nape, deepening the kiss. I pulled away before he continued pushing things further.

"It's settle, then. We're going to the park" I said against his lips.

"Tease" He playfully snarled at me.

Max knew I had kissed him to either feed his desire more or calm it down a bit until he healed. Clearly, I had fed it.

***

Mia was on her stroller as we walked around the city. We were headed to Central Park. This was something I did often with my parents when I was younger. Several weekends we found ourselves taking a train to Grand Central Station and walking around the city until late at night. After going away for college and being not so close to it anymore, my visits became more uncommon. Work and Mia had limited my time and whenever I was free, I just wanted to rest. I barely walked around the city once a month.