Immortals 10- Aphrodite Appears

I watched Apollo as he disappeared into the crowd of dancing couples.

“Hmmm, new Ice Queen has a fling with the Sun King, has a certain ring to it, dontcha think?” A high-pitched, valley girl-esque voice came from beside me. A woman in a flowing turquoise dress stood beside me, golden locks cascading over her shoulders.

I blinked to make sure what I was seeing was real. She was beautiful, everything about her seemed like a princess had stepped out of a story book. Long lashes accentuated her captivating blue eyes, which were glittering in amusement.  Impeccably done make-up made every flaw nonexistent.

“Aphrodite, charmed, I’m sure,” She introduced, extending a manicured hand towards me.

“Persephone….” I breathed, still in shock. I felt immediately self-conscious, knowing there was no way I could compare to her. She was in every sense of the word, a goddess.

“Apollo’s hot, but I’d be careful, if you step away from Hades a little too long, he might just get stolen,” she said, her eyes radiating a challenge. I withdrew my hand from her grip, her words breaking the charm she had cast over me.

“Me and Apollo, there’s nothing going on, we were just dancing,” I insisted.

“Dancing includes kissing now? Hmm,  I should dance with some more people then,” she smirked incredulously.

I didn’t like this girl. I didn’t know what it was, but I could tell we weren’t going to get along.

As if summoned by our words, Hades appeared almost instantaneously.

Aphrodite’s menacing aura dissipated as soon as Hades arrived.

“Oh Hades! We were just talking about you,” gushed Aphrodite, shooting him movie-star smiles and fluttering her eyelashes.

“Really? What about?” He asked casually, completely unfazed by Aphrodite’s not-so-subtle flirtatiousness.

“I’ll tell you all about, it, let’s go somewhere more quiet to talk,” she suggested, looping her arm through his. Hades gave me a confused look before following Aphrodite who dragged Hades off the dance floor.

Apollo came back, two glasses in hand, just as the other two disappeared.

“Are you okay? You look kinda pissed,” he observed, his brown furrowed in confusion.

“No, it’s fine, just, can we go somewhere else? There’s too many people for my taste,” I said quickly.  I was unnecessarily irritated and I didn’t get why. What was so great about Hades?

He kidnapped me, he didn’t even say anything about ‘marriage’, he used my best friend to lure me into the Meadow, and he even went off with what’s her face….There was nothing good about him. She could have him!

Apollo nodded quietly, and handed me a wine glass filled with golden liquid before offering me his arm.