Immortals 6

Hades POV

++++

Sheer cliffs rose steadily until they faded from sight in the darkness. Dim lanterns were scattered throughout the area, casting a dim orange light over everything. As I stepped out of the overturned carriage, a thunderous roar shook the cavern.

A massive metallic lion stood maybe fifty feet away, ready to pounce in the direction of the carriage…and Persephone.

I’m still not sure what came over me, but I had this urge to get the lion away from here, away from her.

I took a deep breath and held my hand out. In the Underworld, I ruled. My power was absolute. No creature here could escape my wrath, and if this lion thought so, he had another thing coming.

++++

Hades closed his eyes and exhaled, focusing his energy around him. He smirked as a familiar cold metal began to encase his body.

The lion let out an earth-shaking roar before it pounced. Hades moved quickly, charging forward before slashing through the air with his newly materialized bident. The clash of the metal colliding echoed around teh cavern.

The lion retreated a few steps, baring its massive fangs. The black metal of Hades's weapon seemed to glow in the dim light. Then Hades extended his arms, his eyes flashing. Thousands on shadowy tendrils rose from the ground, twisting around the lion's legs. The metallic lion wriggled frantically to free itself from the dark vines.

Hades saw the ground begin to tremble. Then he heard it, a scream from behind him. Persephone. He whirled around, scanning the ground for her. Two large wolves were slowly advancing toward her, their pale gray coats were painted orange by the dim lanterns.

Then his breath left his body as the lion swatted him to the ground.

+++

Sophia’s view

The wolves advanced slowly, like they knew I couldn’t do anything. I never should’ve left the carriage….no, they probably would’ve found me anyways. Hades was fighting the robotic lion…thing. He wouldn’t be able to help me.

The wolves let out low growls, they bared their fangs. It looked like they were almost…smiling at me.

I sharply inhaled as I felt my back run up against the rocky cliff. The wolves stopped their advance.

One of them let loose one more growl before it leaped toward me. I fell to the ground, covering my head. I braced myself for the pain, for an impact, for something. But it never came. Instead, I heard a loud yelp. Slowly, I opened my eyes.

A dark silhouette stood over me. On the ground beside the figure lay the body of one of the wolves, blood seeping out from it’s neck. It’s fur began to mat together with the blood.

The dark blood mesmerized me until the growl of the other wolf pulled my attention from it.

The figure above me quickly moved into action, a guttural sound escaping from it.  

There was a shower of blood as the two collided. I felt like I was going to throw up as the dark liquid splattered on the floor.

My stomach clenched and I coughed to suppress the feeling. Then the dark figure turned around and kneeled in front of me so we were at the same eye level.

It emitted more guttural sounds, but I could understand it, or at least I think I could…he had said “My Lady.” Looking back, i should've been freaked out that I understood it at all, but at the time I was too freaked out about something else, I'd just been saved by a knife wielding skeleton.