Chapter 1

Hey everyone! Welcome to my second story on wattpad, The In-betweens. This is a sci-fi/action stroy, my first of this genre, so it should be pretty exciting! You may have to bear with me though because this is the first time that I have written a story like this. I hope that it is original and creative enough for your liking and I hope that you will comment, vote, share, fan, and add to your library if you like it. I have this awesome idea about turning this into a series so you may have to be patient, as I have just started brainstorming and writing this. I also have to juggle school work and other activities that I am involved in. I may not upload every other day but I'm going to try and upload at least once a week. Thank you so much and I hope that you support me and enjoy The In-betweens: A is for Alice.

~WiltingHope (By the way, you should also check out my other story, Living Past Curfew, if you like this one.)

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN EDITED. IF YOU SEE ANY MISTAKES WITH TENSE OR ANY TYPOS, PLEASE INFORM ME RIGHT AWAY.

The In-betweens: A is for Alice

Chapter 1

I’m not a something, as most people like to refer to me as. I’m not human either, but one thing is for sure, I’m not leaving. No matter what you say or do to me, I will always be here; following you, watching you, hating you. Not because you are mean to me, although that is true, but because you have something that I don’t. You have the ability to live.

My name is A. Like the first letter in the alphabet. Every patient here has a letter and I like to think that it stands for something. Something like Alice or Amanda. Instead, I am just a letter, indicating when the humans captured me. In my case, I was the first. I am the first. Letter A. Number one. The humans could have had the decency to give me a name. But alas, I am just A, a genetically repaired human, capable of more than just killing. They don’t know that though. The humans I mean. They don’t know anything, aside from the fact that I am dangerous and that there may be more of my kind. More of my kind. I wish.

 I sighed and opened my eyes. Yep. I’m still alone. I sat up and looked around me. My “room” is more like a closet. Starch white walls, linoleum flooring, white of course, and no windows spare the one on the only door in and out. This screened window was there so that the humans could “observe” me. Occasionally, I would stare out the window, if it could even be considered that, at the starch white walls on the other side and imagine that I was in the outside world. I have no recollection of the world outside of this hospitalized ward in which I am imprisoned.

I was captured three months and seven days ago, according to the tick marks that I make in the wall next to my cot with my fingernail. I make the marks everyday when my “nurse”, who told me to call her Cindy, comes in to give me my shot, my daily dose of medicine to keep me under “control”. Today, Cindy has on blue scrubs with bubbles all over them.

“Hello my beautiful patient,” she said to me, giving me a hug and pinching my cheeks. I smiled at her but refused to speak. She didn’t seem to care, as she rambled on about nothing. I just smiled and nodded, not once getting up from my cot. Cindy puttered around me, picking up dirty jumpsuits that I have worn in the past couple days, and sterilizing everything in her path.

I closed my eyes and envisioned myself in a place in which I don’t remember, and in which I will probably never go again. I heard Cindy come up behind me. “Are you ready for your shot darling?” I didn’t understand why she treated me like a good person. No one else in this hell hole treated me like a human. To them, I’m just a thing. Nothing important. It sucks, but that’s my life. I don’t understand it, and I probably never will either.

“I guess,” I muttered, not looking her in the eyes. I hated these shots. They made my mind blurry and I can’t think about the same thing for awhile. I’ve always had the shots. Ever since I can remember, I was given these shots so I could be “kept under control”. Even though I haven’t done anything for the past three months, I’m still forced to live with this. I’ve been I good girl but alas, that doesn’t seem to matter to the humans. Cindy pinched my arm and pressed the long needle into me. I cringed as she pulled it out and slapped a bandage on my arm.

Cindy smiled at me and was about to walk out when the intercom on the wall buzzed. “Nurse Cindy, I need you to bring A to the examination room as soon as possible. Thank you,” a crackling, deep voice said over the intercom. I stood up and Nurse Cindy turned around. Her usual smile wavered as she grabbed my arm tightly and, unlocking the door with her key card, pulled me out into the hallway. This was a usual occurrence, going to the examination room, but Nurse Cindy never was the one to take me. Normally, tall men in black security suits took me to the lab to be searched and scientifically examined by the “doctors” in the facility. This time it seemed more urgent, as those men were no where to be found. What was going on?

I was ushered into the laboratory and forced into a detoxification room, a step that I found pointless because I hadn’t been anywhere besides my closet of a room. It’s like the humans believe that evil matter is seeping from my skin. I giggle just thinking about it. When the timer beeped, I was pulled out and put into an air lock chamber. Unfortunately for me, they realized early on that I could survive without any air, hence the air lock chamber. Sure, I could survive without air, that didn’t mean that it was comfortable. It was like humans living without televisions; sure, they could do it, that didn’t mean that they would like it.

 I felt the chamber; this one was on wheels, which was different than to my usual stationary one in the corner, begin to move and I saw an abundance of scientists in white lab coats running around the place, as I was pushed into the main laboratory.

I heard voices, quiet compared to the usual constant murmurings of scientists brooding over me, and I looked through the glass that surrounded me. Everyone was clustered around the corner, the corner where my usual chamber lies. I closed my eyes and when I opened them again, I was closer to everyone. Someone had moved me. I looked over to my right and there, in my chamber lay another of my kind.

“Welcome to hell, B,” I muttered and then, I began to cry.

So, what do you think of it so far? Do you like it? Should I add more? Don't be a silent reader....tell me what I need to fix or what you like. Thanks so much! Also...don't forget to read Living Past Curfew, my other wattpad story!