Two - Alaska

Two

I had Lucas in the car with me, while John road with my Aunt and Uncle. I felt like I could tear something like a phone book part with my barehands right now. I was so angry. They were moving me from Oklahoma to Alaska. The climate change was enough to kill half of the animals in the natural world. I didn't like the cold. The snow never really appealed to me..okay that's a lie. But I never really saw it. It doesn't snow in Oklahoma, it just gets cold, windy, and sometimes rainy. Never cold enough to snow though, but from what I've seen when we visit friends in Pennsylvania, the snow is cold, fun and freezes your face off way before you are ready to inside, but that was the fun of it. You should try to run, and get your foot stuck in snow that came up to your knee and then fall straight on your face, but you only laughed at for a moment before the other did a face plant, just as spectacular as yours if not better. I loved the snow, but that didn't mean I want to leave my best friend. Lucas sat in the front seat looking out the window.

"Hey Luke, do you want your gummy bears now?" I opened the pack with one hand and my teeth, and he dug his hand in and he ate them one at a time, giving me all the red ones to eat. He didn't like the red ones, he just wouldn't eat anything red, and no one forced him to do anything he didn't want to do. I pulled over when my aunt did, and she switched sides with my uncle driving, I turned on my radio and he clapped to the music, so I turned it up and he was smiling and I looked at him for a second before flipping my eyes back to the road. It was a 3 day trip, and what kept me awake was Red Bull the whole way there. Lucas was passed out for most of it. Aunt Willow had sent the Movers up a few days earlier, so everything would be set up when we got there. I followed them through the border, and I showed both mine and Lucas' passport, they let us through, and if I wasn't so tried, I might have tried to flirt with the guy checking the passports, he was so adorable. Which got me thinking about why Canda had all the really hot guys. It bothered me, really. I mean Ryan Reynolds came from Canada, and many others have too. It was unfair to the female population in the U.S., but that wasn't the point. We pulled into Alaska, against flashing out passports, and we road toward a beautiful mountain, but that wouldn't take away my anger. I saw woves running across the plain, and strangely I felt like I was home, but I shook away that feeling. Oklahoma was my home. I didn't belong here, this was nothing more than a frozen tundra to me. I looked around, and it was almost like I remembered being here. I shook my head. Probably from not sleeping, I spoke to myself. We pulled into the snow covered drive way of this beautiful log cabin, and I looked out my window. This is where we are living!! This was WAY bigger than the house we had in Oklahoma. How are we even affording this place. I pulled into the garage and pulled my sore self out of the car, I walked around the passenger's side, and I picked a very awake Lucas up, he crawled onto my back and clung to me. I stepped out into the snow, and Aunt Willow had given me a key before we started on our little cross country trip. I walked into the house, and it was like walking into a memory. I almost forgot about Lucas on my back, as I walked around the house. Touching things, that I could actually remember how it felt. I walked up stairs and it was like a flash of something crossed my mind. I walked into the kitchen and I could almost see my mother standing at the sink, with a cup of coffee looking out over the snow. I shook my head and Aunt Willow walked into the house.

"Bailey..?"

"This was my home." I turned and looked to her. She took Lucas from me, and I felt tears well in my eyes.

"my parents lived here...I lived here..." I turned and looked at her, and tears well in my eyes.

"In the attic there are pictures." She whispered and I bolted up the stairs, and I ran through a house that I shouldn't have known. And I pulled down the stairs for the attaic and I found a box that was pictures, and I tore it open. I needed to see them. I pulled out an album and I turned the cover and the smell of pumpkin spice came to my nose. And I touched the picture of my mother, father and me. I couldn't have been more than 2 years old. I touched my mother's face and I closed my eyes, trying to remember things that had been lost to me for so long. And I remember voices, an argument. But the image of my mother drinking coffee was the only thing I could pull up in my memory.

_+_+_+_+_+_

I stood in my room looking around, this was my room when I was a child. I remember the stuffed wolf I had, it had been my mother's when she was young. I walked into the closet and reached up to the top shelf. My hand touched a box, and I pulled it down sitting on the window seat, and I brushed the dust off the box. And I couldn't bring myself to open it yet.

"Bailey! Could you help me with Lucas!" I looked toward the door, as my Aunt's voice floated up the stairs.

"Coming!" I put the box back for another day and ran down the stairs.