The Truth Comes Out

(Alice’s POV 1800s)

I took another bite of the fried rice Erik and I made. It was quiet hilarious seeing Erik try to cook. In the end, I just made him cut some vegetables up and hand them to me while I dealt with the stuff on the fire.

“So, do you like it?” I asked Erik, studying his face.

He bit into another spoonful. “Oh my god,” he moaned. “I have not eaten anything this good since… ever!” He ate another spoonful.

I just laughed. “I’ll teach you one day.”

“So, what did you end up doing today?” Erik asked me, taking a sip of his wine.

I shrugged my shoulders. “Not much. I got food and bathing things. Oh! I got you this!” I stood up and walked over to where I hid the blue rose. I gently grabbed it and walked over to Erik where he was waiting patiently. “It’s not much, but it reminded me of you, so I got it.” I smiled, handing him the rose.

He gently took it and admired its beauty. “This is the first gift I was ever given…” I frowned at his comment. How could he have never gotten a present before? That is so sad. He looked up to me, “Thank you so much, Alice. I am forever grateful.”

I smiled gently at him and then walked over to my seat at the table. It got silent between us after that. After a few minutes, I looked up and locked eyes with Erik, but he quickly turned his head away. Was he just staring at me?

I frowned and studied his face again, staring mostly at his white mask. I could only wonder what lies underneath it. From the book and the musical, it sounds like it would be dreadful to look at, but I found myself growing more and more curious every day.

“Is something wrong?” Erik asked, suddenly breaking the silence.

I coughed, looking away realizing he noticed I was staring. “I was uh, just wondering, about um-“

“About my mask?” He brought a hand to the covered side of his face. “I am sorry but I will not remove it.”

I shook my head, not wanting to push him about it. “Oh, okay.” Silence filled between us once again.

I stood from the table and started to clear it but Erik stopped me. “No that is okay. I shall clear the table. You go and rest.”

I nodded and walked out the room. I grabbed my bathing things and headed towards the washroom to take a nice hot shower.

(Erik’s POV)

I sat at my organ twirling the rose around in my hand. Why would she get this for me? And why would it make her think of me? I shook my head and placed it back in the jar I got for it.

I laid my fingers on the ebony and ivory keys and started to play. Suddenly, the incident that happened with Alice earlier came to my mind and I kept stumbling over the notes. I slammed my fist in the keys and raked a hand across my hair. I cannot believe I was actually trying to seduce the information out of her. I got carried away so quickly. I closed my eyes as the thought of her soft skin came to mind. It was so easy to manipulate her, almost as if she was enjoying it. The lustful look in her eyes just about proves it too. It took everything in my power to not slam my lips to hers earlier. If only I did! Then I would have kissed her beautiful-

What in the world was I thinking? I am in love with Christine. Not Alice. I need to get her out of my head now. I took a deep breath and started thinking of Christine’s beautiful voice and smiled. I remembered all the lovely practices we shared together, her voice improving so much. But then I remembered her ripping my mask off my face, and her eyes filling with tears and horror. The scared look in her eyes just about broke me.