Chapter 4 : Because Of Me

It was as soon as we got off the Hogwarts Express. We heard that voice. That voice that was dreaded for us, but in a way I heard my heart beat louder. I hid my smile as I looked behind us, finding myself looking at a certain Slytherin cracking up. 

“Is it true you fainted, Potter? Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted?” Draco said, trying to control his laughter. Draco was my crush, but Harry was my friend. No one made fun of Harry in front of me. Not even if I was starting to fall head over heels in love with them.

“Shove off, Malfoy,” I said with my teeth clenched.

“What, Parker? Did you faint too? Do you want your mum?” Draco said with a smirk. 

“Is there a problem?” I heard a mild voice say. Professor Lupin. 

“Uh, no... Professor.” Malfoy smiled smugly. Oh how I hated how he made fun of everyone. It was like he was better then anyone else. But that was what made me want him. His self confidence. I wanted to show him that there was more to the world than just him. Then at that moment, my eyes gazing at Draco dreamily, Pansy Parkinson came along. Pansy. She was Draco’s fellow Slytherin, and it was way too obvious that she had a humongous crush on him. She flirted with him every chance she got, every year. I smirked. This year, it would be different. 

Because of me. 

We strode to the carriages with nothing pulling them. I’d always assumed they were invisible horses. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Alice, and I got on a carriage. 

“HEY!” we heard a voice. The carriage stopped, and someone boarded.

Draco.

The carriage started moving again, along the bumpy road.

“What the hell do you want, Malfoy?” Ron said, clenching his fist. 

“Sorry to disappoint you, Weasley, but it has nothing to do with you.” Then Draco turned and looked at me. He winked. I looked down at my feet, blushing furiously.

“Are you seriously trying to hit on Alex?” Harry asked with disbelief. 

“Sorry, Malfoy... She doesn’t like people like you!” Hermione said to him.

“You had confidence that she’d fall for you?” Alice asked with a giggle. Malfoy growled at the humiliation, then looked at me.

“Look, she’s blushing!” Draco said with a smirk. Ugh... I wish he hadn’t said that, now the attention was on me!

“...what?!?” Ron said, bewildered.

I sighed and glanced up. THE HOGWARTS CASTLE. Thank god, we were here. 

“Oh, we’re here! Let’s go to the feast, guys!” I said suddenly, and jumped out of the carriage and started running. 

"Wait up, Alex!" Hermione's voice came from behind me. I turned around while running. Hermione was waving her hand wildly, signalling for me to stop.

But before I could stop myself, I bumped into someone.

"Oof!"

"Owch!"

I fell to the floor with momentum, hitting my bum on the ground. I sighed, and got up on my feet again. I patted my butt and looked at the person who I'd clashed with. 

Neville.

"Ohmygosh! Neville, I'm so sorry!" I helped him up, and looked worriedly at him. 

"It's okay, Alex. I'm fine!" he said, and he showed me a smile. I let out a breath of relief. 

"What's happening? I feel some drama." Neville looked at Ron, Harry, Draco to me. Even Neville could feel something. Dammit. I had to keep it a secret. Which is when Hermione, AND Alice, caught up to me. They both said hi to Neville, then grabbed me by both arms. 

"We must talk, Alex Skye Parker," Alice said with a stern look, something like Professor McGonagall would've given me. 

"Yes, yes we must!" Hermione agreed with a glance towards the boys behind us. Oh good god. Had they figured out my crush for Draco? What would I tell them? 

"Wait, Skye!" 

'Who would be calling me by my middle name?' I thought to myself. No, it was probably just another student in another year. 

And that, was the beginning. 

The beginning of my love story.