The Werewolves of Malbork: Chapter 3

Sebastian Duncan von Kannon

Lily and I spent two whole hours sitting beside the river, before we had to head to our 4th hour. I had left after 4th hour, and sadly hadn't seen Lily before departing. I knew something was going on between us, which worried me. How was I going to have her as my beta if I fell in love with her? I wouldn't be able to protect her like I'd want to.. The gears in my mind were turning. I couldn't stop thinking. I looked at my watch; it was 2 in the afternoon.

I only had 4 classes on Thursdays, so I decided to leave early and just walk the mountain range surrounding the school. When I was younger, my father would take me hiking throughout the rolling hills, steep mountains, and dense forrests. I loved running through the grass and jumping over the rivers. Once I got to play with a baby bear cub; I remembered that day like it happened only yesterday.

I guess I knew where I was gonig all along, but I surprised myself a little when I pushed open the cemetary gates. I wandered through the maze of stones and open spaces; bodies and markers.

My father was buried closest to the mountains, near the creek. I sat down beside his headstone, leaning my head lightly upon it. I pretended that a tear didn't just fall from my eye. 

"I miss you." I whispered, staring at the patch of grass that covered where his body was burried. I remember every detail on his face. How his eyelashes were longer on his left eye, and that his right ear was always slightly tanner.

"I need your help." I was looking at the darkening sky now. The sun was prepared to set. "I need it bad." my thoughts were a jumbled mess. I was confused, I was sad, and I was missing more than one person right now. Sophia's party was the furthest thing from my mind, too.

"Here I am," I said aloud miserablly, "asking questions you'll never hear. Asking for help that I'll never recieve. I get that I should be mature about all of this, but I don't want to be." my voice faded as I heard footsteps. I looked around, but saw no one.

A moment later I did see a face. It was right in front of me, and very nearly made me shift. 

"Sorry." I apologized after jumping up and growling. It was just Aubrey, probably here to visit her mom.

"Fine, totally fine. I shouldn't have been running around like that. I get jumpy in here, though. I hate it." she admitted, placing a flower neatly on my fathers grave. That made me happy. "I didn't really expect to see you here so soon. No Lily?" she looked around, as if searching for her.

"So soon after what? Enrico's death? Well, I come here at least once a week. To talk to my dad.. Or to talk to myself, I guess." I wasn't sure if I had made any sense. "And Lily? She was still in class when I left." 

Aubrey sat down beside me and leaned her head on my shoulder. We'd been best friends for four years, but my father becoming ill and passing away had me totally unfocused. I felt bad. I hadn't ever really apologized to her for it.. Was now a good time?

"I'm sorry for being so distant these past years. Everything has just been so awful and I've just been trying to figure everything out." I admitted, not making eye contact. We were quiet for a few minutes, just the sound of our breathing, and the rustle of autumn leaves in the wind. It was a pretty day out, and I'd only noticed it just now.

"I understand. I haven't pressed for information or bothered you. That's because I know where you're at. I miss my best friend, but I don't want to bug you." Aubrey seemed just as eager to clear the air as I was. I turned towards her and took her in my arms. I missed spending time with her. She'd always been there for me.

"Miss you." she whispered as she hugged me; we hadn't hugged in probably at least a year.

"You don't have to anymore. I'm here, I'm back; I'm finally okay. I think. We'll see."  I let Aubrey go, leaning against my dad (or his headstone) again. I really hoped I was back.

Aubrey and I sat there just watching the sun go down for a little while, not really speaking.  I stood when it was really starting to get dark, probably close to six.

"I've got to shower, and head to Sophia's.. You going to be there?" I stood and stretched, tall as the little tree a few feet a way. I was unnaturally tall; it was a fact.

"Probably. I've got to ask my dad, see what he says." we were walking down the rows of headstones now, weaving in between some awkward trees and out the gate. 

It was getting colder out now, not that I could feel it. All the little animals that usually ran amuck through the hills were gone. It was quiet, but nice.

I walked Aubrey home, which was on the way. When I got to my house, my mother was out in the front garden pulling weeds. I laughed and shook my head.

"Hello, my long lost son who disappears without telling anyone." she joked, standing up. 

"The garden looks nice." I admitted, putting an arm around her as I opened the door. 

She was the one laughing now, shaking her head too. We walked in the house to be met by my brother, Landon.

"What do you guys think about going to Sophia's tonight? First day of winter break. All the kids and their parents are going to be there. Kind of like a party." I offered to the two of them, opening the fridge and pulling out an iced tea pitcher. 

"Sure, sure. After a shower for you, and me, yes" my mother answered, already  half way up the stairs. I smiled and nodded.

"Tea?" I offered Landon, who shook his head.

An hour later I was pulling my pants up when there was a light knock on my door. I glanced over as I buttoned my pants to see Lily there, smiling shyly.

"Sorry, but I didn't want to wait to see you any longer." she walked in and pushed the door shut behind her. I pulled her in my arms, wishing I could hold onto her forever.

Eventually my mother came in and told me we'd be leaving now; that Lily's mother and sister were downstairs.

"Well, let's go have fun." Lily said, wrapping her arm around my waist. 

"Yes, let's go have fun."