The Golf Course in Auggie's Back Yard

I had been wearing the hat at every waking moment for the past couple of days now and today was no exception.

August was drawing to a close and with only two weeks left of the summer holidays I was desperate to get as many things on the list completed as I could.

The sky outside was blue and full of little white clouds. The sun was shining and the little white daisies in the plant pots blew in the wind.

It was early morning and I was off to Auggie's house to continue with the list. I left a note on the front door to tell my family where I had gone and pushed the key into the lock.

The lock clicked as the latch was released and the door swung open gently. I tugged on the keys to remove them from the lock and stepped outside slamming the door behind me.

I gripped the handles bars of my bicycle as I pulled it into an upright position from where it was propped against the wall by the front door. I swung my leg over its blue frame and pedalled down the driveway.

Ten minutes later and I had arrived at Auggie's house. I got down from my bike and leant it against the fence before making my way up the gravel path.

I approached the big red door and banged the little fish door knocker three times to alert the people inside that there was someone there. The door was opened by Auggie's mum Sharon.

"Hello Roza, come in" she said her voice kind. She looked me up and down before pulling me into a warm embrace. I let my head rest on her shoulder.

"Auggie" she shouted letting go of me. "Roza is here!"

The sound of the stairs creaking was enough to tell me that he was making his way down them. He was barely awake a huge dark circles were present under his eyes.

"I'll leave you to it" Sharon announced as she left us alone in the hall.

"You ready to play some golf?" he asked an enthusiastic tone in his voice.

"Let's go!"

I was met in the garden by a home made golf course. A little orange flag was stuck into the ground by the patio and another around fifty yards away presumably marking the hole. I loved Auggie's garden. It was absolutely huge unlike mine which was small with pretty much no grass.

"Right" he started "this orange flag here marks the starting point and that one over there marks the hole"

"Okay..."

He picked up a club and held it out to me, "Here you go"

"Thanks." I picked up the small white ball from where it lay at my feet and dropped it beside the little orange flag.

"You ready?"

I took and swing and hit the ball a good long way, but I missed, I missed the hole by about a metre.

I tried again, but the same thing happened.

We played for hours, a good few at least before we took a break for lunch.

"You'll get it," he said in an attempt to reassure me.

"Yeah I guess"

I don't know how long we were playing after our little break but after another thirty or so goes I got it in.

I picked up the ball and placed it by the side of the flag. I took a deep breath and brought the club up behind me so it was level with my shoulder.

"1, 2, 3" I muttered to myself under my breath before taking a huge swing with the club. The ball flew into the air and hit the ground before disappearing. The ball had gone in.

A huge smile spread across my face and I could hear Auggie clapping behind me. I turned around to be picked up in the air. He swung me round before dropping me to my feet. 

"Well done!" he exclaimed. At last, point five was complete.