Memories

"The Hemphills are here kids. Make your way to the front office." officer Quinn said. I was a little nervous, but Jeff and I need to try and fit in.

As we walked in I noticed two people, a man with gray-like hair, middle aged, and a wrinkled face was there. He was Caucasian, and had on a business shirt tucked into his khaki pants. With him stood who I assumed to be his wife. She was also white, with short brown hair who also looked to be around 45. She wore a white button up shirt with black pants and black heels.

"Hi! We're the Hemphills. My name is Dorthy, and this is my husband Carl. Pleased to meet you kids!" The wife spoke. Jeff and I awkwardly said hi.
"Don't be shy! We know all about you two. And we promise to bathe you in unimaginable love! We also have a son, who you'll get to meet once we arrive home. He's a stubborn kid, and gets into fights a lot.. But don't mind him! He usually minds his own business!" The wife kept blabbering on.
"Um, if I may ask, what requirements do you guys have in order for us to live with you." Jeff said, less than amused.
"Oh! Well, bed time is 10pm, and you wake up at 6:00 am sharp to go to school at 7. We go to church every Sunday and Wednesday. You will have to always keep your room nice and tidy, and help around the house with chores after you do homework." The father finally spoke. Jeff looked like he wanted to strangle them both.
"You mentioned homework, does that mean we have to go to school?" I ask trying to change the subject.
"Yes indeedly-do! Staring Monday of course! Well, tomorrow! Hehe!" The mother cheered. I don't know if coming to the Overworld, was such a good idea..

-

Driving in the parents family van, they seemed like your typical lovey-dovey parents. I never really had parents, so I'm open minded to anything..
Jeff on the other hand, was red-hot. He looked like a tomato about to burst into flames. They had 'Jesus Take The Wheel' on high, so they couldn't really hear us.
"If I don't kill myself before the week ends, do it for me." He leaned in and whispered.
"Oh come on. I bet they're not that bad. Besides, they have a son, shouldn't be too bad."

"I can't wait for you two to meet our child. He's very sweet, and 14!" The mother said over the loud music.
"I really don't want to be here.." Jeff mumbled.
"Like I said-" Jeff cut me off.
"It's not them. It's this town. This is where my life ended. I killed my own family for fucks sake.." Jeff said softly so the parents couldn't hear. I grabbed his hand and looked into his eyes. He was confused and a little surprised.
"And this will be where your life begins again. A new start, a new beginning! And I'll be here to make sure nothing goes wrong.." He smiled at me, almost as if believed me.

-

As we pulled into the drive way, my eyes were glued on the ginormous mansion they owned.

Jeff too looked spooked. As we exited the car I imagined my new life here, the sweet fresh air of the upper class. Dorothy opened the door and allowed us in right after her.

Very spacious and big enough for a family of ten!"Honey! Come down stairs and meet your new foster brother and sister!" The mom called

"Honey! Come down stairs and meet your new foster brother and sister!" The mom called. Jeff and I shot each other a glance.. if we're together..
"Dude- we just became a red-neck couple." Jeff snorts.
"You mean the couple that fucks their siblings?" I said trying not to throw up.
"Yup.. and we need to do that soon." He said smirking.
"Do what?" I asked confused.
He winked and I realized how I worded my sentence. I flushed red- he wants to-

"Son! For the last time!" This time Carl yelled, we could hear foot steps coming from upstairs, soon after, a loud groan.
"He's a freshmen, and you two will be sophomores so you may not be with him in the same classes, but I hope you can bond during lunch! Being part of the PTA, I made sure you all have the same lunch period!" Dorthy said with glee.
This is the picture perfect privileged family. The family I never had, yet always wanted.. memories of my mom flashed in the back of my mind.

And then I felt his warm hand wrap with mine, he knew exactly what I was thinking.
Suddenly I didn't feel afraid anymore.

"What do you want?!" We looked up, and there was the kid. He had dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, and freckles covering his face. He wore a red cap backwards, jeans and a black shirt with a red jacket over him. He seemed like the kind of kid who was a fuck boy, and Captian of the football team, only a lot smaller and younger, with a baby face. He was a little cubby, and a little taller than me, even though he was a freshman. I felt Jeff's hands tighten. I looked down and then at him.

Jeff's eyes were wide open, his face pale. The boy looked across the living room, both of them didn't break their gaze.

"Jeff, (Y/N), meet our son, Randy."

-

"Jeff- wait!" Jeff ran out the front door. I looked at the boy and saw fear in his eyes. The parents were too confused to speak- and I chased Jeff.

"Jeff- please- stop!" But he didn't. It's like he still had the speed from when we were holding the Proxy symbol.
We neared a park and he slowed down as we grew closer to a park bench. I wasn't far behind and eventually reached him.
"Y-you know- ah.. maybe give- ugh- me a sign next time you decide to- blast out the door!" I pant, with my hands on my knees.
He didn't say anything. He had his head down.
"Jeff.. why did you run out the door?" I asked standing up, finally catching my breath. With two simple words, Jeff simply responded with-
"His name."
And it hit me. My eyes shot open-
Randy.

"I'm gonna kill him!" Jeff stood, fists tight. He pulled out his knife-
"Jeff- NO!" I hid the weapon away from prying eyes. We might've been the only ones at the park, but cars were still passing by.
"Look- were being kept under close observation. I know you're upset- but we have to be careful!"
He looked up- angry.
"Careful? Careful?! (Y/N)- that guy ruined my life! He's the reason there's even a "Jeff The Killer!" You don't understand-! He dumped bleach all over my body- and burned me, (Y/N). My life-" he stopped mid sentence. And he just started crying. I looked into his eyes.

Pain, fear, anger, hate, and trauma lurked within them.
"M-My heart- it hurts so bad, (Y/N). My parents- my brother- gone! Because of him! When I locked eyes- ngh.. everything hit me. In one huge flash back- the things I did.. to people- women- children! Was all because of him! I have- (Y/N)! No words- I just-" he couldn't stop crying.

His life was ruined by one boy.
And that same boy was living the dream.
While Jeff suffered daily.
Dreams- shattered.
A life wasted.

"How the hell does a broken heart get back together, when it's been teared apart?" He said softly. At that moment I saw the life leave his beautiful eyes, even if he wasn't dead..

"I'm so broken."

I walked up to him and hugged him. I didn't let go, I didn't say anything, I just held him, like a lost boy.

"Everything's going to be alright." I said softly.

"I don't wanna feel like this anymore."

No one noticed how guilty he felt, they only saw his hatred. No one saw the pain he was in, only the pain he had caused. No one realized how much he hated himself, far more than any hated him.