Chapter 1

I walk outside into the crisp autumn air. A slight breeze starts to blow so I stop and let it run through my long brown hair. Someone bumps into me, causing me to drop my bag.

"Hey, watch where you're going." I say in an annoyed tone as I start to pick up my things. The street is pretty crowded so I'm not sure who I'm even talking to. I gather up everything and stuff it quickly into my bag and sling it over my shoulder. I continue walking down the street until I reach the store. I start to mutter the list of ingredients my mother told me to pick up before I forget them all. I find everything I need rather quickly and with one last look over my basket I head to the checkout. The clerk is an older man, and he takes a few minutes to ring up just a couple of small items. I start to zone out and get lost in thought.

"That'll be $13.50, miss." His voice snaps me back into focus. I fish my wallet out of my bag and grab the ten dollars my mother gave me earlier for groceries. I keep looking for more money, but my wallet is completely empty.

"Oh, no..." I whisper to myself as I desperately look for some more money. "I-I'm sorry, hang on a second..." I tell the clerk. He shoots me an impatient look. Suddenly, a hand rests on my shoulder, making me jump.

"Miss? Excuse me, but it looks like you're having some trouble. You can borrow some money from me if you like." A male voice from behind me says. I turn around to face the person. He looks like he's around my age and he has short, dark brown hair.

"First of all, don't go touching people. It's creepy and scares anyone who is sane. Secondly, I don't need your generosity, so leave me alone." I tell the boy coldly.

"Here, take this," the boy says to the clerk as he hands him a 5 dollar bill. "Keep the change." I glare at the boy, then quickly pick up my groceries and walk towards the store entrance. I realize he's following me, so I stop and turn to him.

"Look, thanks I guess, but I didn't need your help." I state stubbornly. "What do you want, why are you following me?"

"No problem. And I don't want anything, I just didn't catch your name." he explains. "Mine's Zack."

"That's because I wasn't giving it, Zack." I walk out of the store and to my dismay it's already getting dark. Perfect... A weirdo is following me, it's nearly dark outside, and I still have to walk home.

"Hey, I helped you back there. Can I at least know your name?" Zack asks.

"...Lilita." I toss over my shoulder after a moments hesitation. "Now if you don't mind, I have to get home. Goodbye, Zack."

"Bye." I continue to walk down the street. Until I turned the corner, I felt his gaze boring into my back. What a strange boy... I think as I start to walk a little faster.