Year Two: Part Two

-Year Two: Part Two-

“I want you all to practice this spell over the next day and we'll try it again tomorrow!” Professor Newhaven called as the Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors exited his class room. The spell he'd been trying to teach us wasn't necessarily a hard one. I'd nearly gotten it right by the time class had ended and seven others had accomplished the task easily.

Tom and I met up as we always did at the tree near the Black Lake, though we didn't speak. The sunlight glinted beautifully off of the relective water, like a sparkling diamond. The bright green grass was soft under my hands, creating the perfect pillow-like substance to sit upon and the birds were singing.

The dark shadow that fell over us was greatly contrasted by the brilliance of the day.

“Hello there...” The boy said as I looked up at him. He had dark brown hair with hazel eyes and couldn't have possibly been more than a year older than myself and Tom.

Tom ignored the boy but all of my father's training came back to me and I thrust my hand out. “Hello. I'm Chamille Rhodes, nice to meet you!”

“I'm Terrance, Terrance Potter and I can assure you that the pleasure is all mine.” Terrance smirked as he leant down to kiss my hand instead of shaking it like was meant. His white teeth were perfecty aligned, not even the tiniest bit crooked and his eyes crinkled slightly. Even as he stood, so charming before me, it was easy to tell that he had an immense sense of humor, his eyes alight with the twinkle of laughter that everyone else I knew lacked.

“Tom, aren't you going to introduce yourself?”

“No.”

My eyes darted to my best friend as he glared at the boy who stood above us though Terrance had given him no reason to hate him already.

“Come on, Chamille. We shouldn't be seen with Gryffindor's,” Tom sneered, taking my hand as he dragged me to my feet.

I looked apologetically towards Terrance and waved half-heartedly as Tom and I left him behind.

“That was very rude!” I reprimanded, though I knew that it would do absolutely no good. Tom gave me the 'look' and I immediately shut my mouth, afraid to offend him. I hated how he could silence me with one look, nobody else could do that besides my Father.

“Well...I liked him. I thought he was charming!” I huffed, only realizing I shouldn't have said anything as Tom released my wrist and took off without me. Sighing, I decided not to follow him this time around, instead turning and meeting back up with Terrance Potter.

* * *

It was months later, and still Tom and I weren't talking. It was awkward during the classes that we shared as we were still forced to sit at the tables together, and work on projects but without talking everything was ten times harder.

There was only two weeks left of school, and I didn't want to go home while still fighting with my best friend. Lately, Terrance and I hadn't been hanging out as much as we did in the beginning of our friendship. Even Terrance could notice my distress at not having Tom around, so Terrance had the great idea that if we stopped spending so much time together Tom would be my friend again.

So far...it wasn't working. But I wouldn't give up, I told myself that if Tom still didn't talk to me by the end of the year, I'd find him on the Hogwarts Express and force him to speak to me.

“Stop staring at me.”

I jerked my eyes away from the back of his brown-haired head and bit my lip. “I'm sorry, Tom.” The slippers I was wearing felt too tight, and the uniform I had on felt as if it weighed a hundred pounds. I hated this....

“It's fine.”

My pale pink lips curved up at the edges but otherwise I didn't say anything. One step at a time was the best way to go.

“I have something to tell you, meet me at the Black Lake after supper, all right?” Tom muttered, as the Charms professors back was turned. The other Hufflepuffs and Slytherin's took no notice either, and I nodded to Tom so that he knew I'd meet him there.

After class, I went to the Hufflepuff common room feeling as if a giant weight had been taken off my shoulders and at that point in time...I just needed a nap.

* * *

“I was reading a book the other day,” Tom mentioned, as we sat together beneath the Black Lake Tree, his eyes had a far-away gleam to them as he gazed up at the full moon.

“Yes and...” I had no idea where he was going. He reads books all the time, so why was it that he suddenly had the need to tell me about it.

“It mentions something, a room, that's hidden in Hogwarts.”

My eyes darted over towards the looming castle of a school and pondered what type of room could possibly be hidden there. Everyone knew that there were all types of hidden passageways, but a room? How does one go about hiding an entire room.

“It's called the Chamber of Secrets, and it was made by Salazar Slytherin right before he broke apart from the other founders and went on his own. I plan to find it,” Tom stated with utter confidence.

I thought it'd be amazing if he could find this hidden room, he'd probably be in the history book!

“I hope you find it Tom. If you need any help... I'm here.”

He smiled over at me before moving his soft hand over the top of my own. “I know, Chamille.”

* * *

“Hey Chamille, wait for me!”

My feet froze where I stood, waiting for the boy who ran to catch up with me, grinning the whole way.

“Do you want to go to Hogsmeade with me?” Terrance questioned, his eyebrows raised as two of his best friends trailed behind him. Tom had already left to his Common Room, explaining that he wanted to try and research the Chamber a bit more, to try his best to find a clue to locate it.

“I'd like that very much, thank you Terrance.” I dipped my head, before letting him walk to the Hufflepuff floor. While Gryffindor had a Tower and Slytherin had the Dungeons, we Hufflepuffs simply had a floor.

The feet ached from walking so much and to be honest I wasn't planning on going to Hogsmeade the next day, but I wasn't going to turn Terrance down and make him go alone. I'd deal with the pain later, I supposed.

With only a bit less than two weeks until summer holidays, I couldn't help but to let my mind wander, and wonder what my family would have in store for me when I arrived home.

Maybe things would be better this time around.

[[A/N: This is just a tiny bit shorter than the last two chapters, but I hope you like it anyways!  Make sure to tell me what you think about my newest character, lol!]]