Chapter 2.25: Pioneering Works

“No mail.” A statement welcomed Enid on her e-mail’s web page. It was expected; nothing more, nothing less.

              “Just keep trying Enid… I know you can get in NYAAS.” Red cheered the gloomy faced maiden.

              “Is waiting for three years not enough to tell myself, Enid, you’ll never get in there?” Enid protested and shut the computer off.

              “Submit a literary piece or a science experiment for us to know you better.” Red read the mail further before its last paragraph. “Why don’t you just make those?” he asked.

              “I am not a novelist or a poet. I am neither a scientist nor a chemist.” Enid stood and exited the library. “Too bad.” Enid sighed and walked to their classroom.

              “Everyone!” Ms Adreanne entered the room not long after Enid and Red arrived. “Class is going to start ten minutes from now!” the voice lingered yet not a single action was taken. (I wonder if their bells are broken.)

              They took their seats and slouched on their desks.

              …

              “No, Albern. The regional basketball tournament is too prestigious to be lost. You can play on the exhibition game, lad.” Coach Bare smirked and blew his whistle. “Take five!”

             “But, Sir! I am part of the team. I haven’t even played a formal game! Like you know, those sectionals or regionals.” He replied with eyebrows curved upside down.

              “You always play, Albern, in exhibition games. Don’t you feel satisfied with that?” Coach Bare glared at him. “There are other students here at Walter High craving to be in this team. I gave you your dream because I think it will satisfy you. But, you’re asking me for more? No, Albern. That’s too much.” Coach Bare pursed his lips as he left Albern in tear.

              “Albern! The class is soon to start!” Serena stormed in her varsity uniform. “Hey. Why?” She flipped Albern’s hair.

              “Nothing.” Albern with his quick response, grabbed his bag and dozed off to run.

              She held him and squeezed her grip on Albern’s cerulean jersey.

              “Look Albern, You don’t have to feel bad about this…” Serena sympathized with her eyebrows curved down as well.

              Bomp. Bomp. Bomp.

              No response came out of anyone. The silence was still with the ball dribbling on the other end of the multi-purpose gym. It symphonized the lament of a pestilent silence. The gravity resonated with Albern’s streaming face.

              “Do you know how it feels to fill up red cups on the counter? Do you know how it feels when you wear your varsity jersey but you only sit with the cheer leaders and cheer with them? Do you know?”

Serena was silent.

“No you don’t… because you yourself can move freely with your volleyball teammates.” Albern walked away and the dribbling silenced down to the bass.

              “Do you even think about what you said? I was kicked out, Albern. Kicked out,” She emphasized. “I was kicked out because of my silly weird scarf. Do you think that wasn’t something I should be sad at? Albern I don’t have a mother and a father. You have everything. They worked for you. They work for you. Me? I only have this scarf and you would judge on—”