Chapter 5- A little Girl fight

chapter 5

As Anne and I finished lunch, I went to the library to get notes from the first period, while Anne met up with her cheerleader friends to practice some more routines for the senior football game.

I entered the large library, filled with the beauty of literature.

I sighed as I looked at the wooden hall in front of me. The lines of books outstretched for what felt like miles, while wooden tables were settled in between the book shelves, giving a place to read or write.

There were computers on the side of the library, as students sat there, typing silently.

As I looked at my favorite section of the library-old literature-I let my fingertip touch the old and ragged hardbacks, as I walked though the section, smelling the comforting scent of the library.

I always loved old books; it made me feel as if the people before me repeatedly read it, and now gave them to me. These used 'tatty' books were like a different world for me, as I tried to understand the feeling of the person by their imprint on it, their favorite parts, as they didn't unfold some bookmarks placed, if they read it with care, or with strong curiosity or if they just read the first pages, and didn't continue reading after that.

As I lifted a slanted book, I looked to the other side of the shelf, only to meet a pair of gray eyes.

A gasp left my mouth as I walked away. "Olivia?" Julie's voice filled the once-silent library. Julie was one of the cheerleader friends of Anne as well.

The aged librarian mouthed a 'be quiet' and went back into solving her cross-word puzzle on the newspaper.

"Let me guess, your friend ditched you to be with popular people?" she whispered, as she walked next to me. 'What happened to her being nice to me in the beginning of the day?' I thought.

"No" I replied, crossing my arms, "She needed to practice her cheers for the senior game"

"Of course she did" she said, as his voice was filled with sarcasm.

"What do you mean?" I asked, slightly annoyed at her interest in my school life.

"Well... Never thought how much her social ranks have fallen down because of you?" she asked, with disgust all over her face.

"What happened to you Julie?" I asked, with sadness in my eyes, as I recalled some of my good memories with Julie and Anne and the fun we had.

"I entered the real world" Julie said.

As much as I hate saying this, she was somewhat true. Anne did miss many parties because of our sleepovers and my lack of social skills-which made me end up going home after the first 20 minutes the gatherings-and she only met her 'popular' friends when we weren't together, which was for only 15 minutes.

"Since you aren't saying anything back, I believe that I am right" she replied, proud of her argumentative skills.

"Says the person who's only friend is a mirror and who practically dips her face in make-up" I scoffed with the unknown confidence inside me, "Anne might be different from me, but she is my best friend, and we are family,
therefore the social ostracism placed on this school doesn't affect us in any way possible" making her surprised at my defense.

"Oh Puhlease" she said, "I thought you would back off from Anne this year, but I guess you didn't, and she still needs glasses"

'Back-off?' I thought.

"Actually, she can see perfectly, thank you for your concern" I replied, narrowing my eyes.

"Oh, no she can't, I mean, look at you!" she pointed at me with mock disgust filled her voice. "You both don't even look alike, except your hair, but yours doesn't suite you, while hers does, and not to forget how weird you are, I mean, there are rumors that you are a witch who cursed Anne to be her best friend and you talk to dead people because you have no real friends" she said, with her face easily showcasing the look of disgust she has. I was in the verge of punching her on her Barbie dolled face, when suddenly somebody called my name from the other side of the section.

"Olivia?" Cameron said, as the librarian once again glanced at us with anger, making us mum our lips.

Cameron looked over to me, while Julie walked over to him,

"Cameron" she purred, making me roll my eyes.

I already knew that they would end up leaving together, so I was about to tell him that we can study tomorrow when he said "Shut up Julie, I am here to pick up Olivia" and he took my arm and walked me outside the library.

While we walked towards his car, he didn't question why I was late, in fact, he didn't say anything, which I respected, since my mind was only filled with Julie's voice telling me that I indirectly ruined Anne's high-school life.

As we walked over to the parking lot, I couldn't help but be thankful that Cameron came on time, or I would've started crying like a little girl on the spot.

As he opened his car's door to let me in, a gasp escaped my mouth as I found myself staring at his forearm.

"A viper" I mumbled, as I stared at his tattooed arm, when suddenly my vision was blurred and I lost control of my body, as my surroundings were greeted by sheer and utter darkness.