Nine

Raina stared at the dark castle. It was nothing like the place of Soni. Her home had been a place of trees and light. Soni people valued nature and you could see it in there architecture.

Anthos is a place of stone. The whole place seemed to have an eerie glow to it. The lough clap of thunder sounded from the sky. Lightning flashed in the sky.

"Does it always look like this?" Raina asked.

"No."

Raina relaxed a little.

"Most visitors say it looks more terrifying during the daylight." Zulo said.

Raina stared at him with wide frightened eyes. He couldn't honestly expect her to live in such a dark cold place, could he.

"Fear not wife. I assure you the kingdom of Anthos is not without its charm." Zulo said smiling at his home.

Raina looked back at the castle. She tried to see the charming side of the stone monstrosity but could not fine any. She tried to picture herself raising a family inside of those walls. It didn't feel like a place that she could ever call home.

Perhaps it would be better if we took the back rout. I'm sure the princess would like a chance to freshen up before she sees anyone. Azarath said.

Raina looked down at her dress. It's covered in mud and sweat. The fabric was hanging loosely because of the way Zulo cut it. Her hair had come undone and her makeup was a complete mess.

"That would be preferable. Thank you, Azarath." Raina said.

No problem, princess, and feel free to call me Rath.

Raina smiled. Azarath really was a well mannered wolf...man... wolf-man. Raina wasn't really sure on the terminology.

"Lead the way, Rath." Zulo said.

The wolf trotted down the cobble path. Zulo reached behind Raina and pulled the hood of his cloak over her head.

"There, this should stop anyone from noticing you." Zulo said standing in front of her to adjust the hood. His towering form stood close to her face. She breath in the smell of him and felt another wave of unexplained desire.

Zulo stepped back and Raina relaxed breathing in the fresh air.  Her calm was messed up when Zulo wrapped his arm around her shoulder. He pulled her body close against his.

Together they followed Rath. Once they reached the wall Rath let out a low howl. Several seconds of perfect silence passed them by. Raina wondered if all the castles inhabitance were sleeping.

Another howl from  behind the castle walls rang  out. The bridge clicked and moaned as it was slowly lowered to the ground.

Raina looked around for any sign of life but found none. She noted as they crossed the bridge how deadly silent everything was.

It made the her pounding heart sound even louder.

Zulo seemed to scenes her growing worry. He gave her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. Raina found herself clinging to the prince.

Although everything around them was quite she could feel a thousand hidden eyes on her as she stepped of the bridge.

Raina thought she caught sight of movement but when she turned her head nothing was there.

"Don't worry. They are just curious about your scent. They know that it is not Anthos. I have told them all the stay back for today and they would not dare disobey my order."  Zulo said.

"Are they all in wolf from?" Raina asked.

"No, but even in human form we still have certain abilities that make us different from normal humans. Our heightened sense of smell is one of them."

Great, so everyone knows that I smell of sweat and dirt. Raina thought.

How was she ever suppose to lead people she knew nothing about. In Soni she'd known her people well. When Rimy and her father had gone off to war she stayed behind to help people.

Raina had worked with them in the mills and grieved with the mothers when they lost their sons. She was connected to her people and them to her. The reason she'd agreed to this marriage had been for their behave.

Raina did not know if she could ever feel the same connection to the people of Anthos, but she would have to try. The first step would be to get over her fear of them. If this was to be her home then she would have to accept them fur and all.

"Tomorrow I'd like to arrange a public meeting with the people." Raina said looking out the shadows.

"Wife you needn't rush these things. I know that I have given you much to think over. I understand if it takes time for you to accept-"

"I want to see them. I want to see our people."

Zulo stared down at his wife. A slow smile started to spread across his face although she could not see it. The fact that that Raina referred to his people as her own pleased him deeply.

Zulo knew how different Anthos was from Soni. He feared that his wife would never be able to love and accept the home he knew and love.

The king is awake. He calls for you my prince. Rath said.

"Then I will go to him. Rath, take the princes to the west wing so that she may shower and dress." Zulo ordered.

"Shouldn't I go with you. It will be rude to not greet the king and queen upon my arrival."

Zulo shook his head. "I will tell them what happened. They will understand you're absents. You can meet with them tomorrow morning before the public meeting. For now you must shower and sleep. I have brought you a long hard way and for that I apologize princess."

Raina had not expected the apology. She was not sure if her wolf prince was capable of forming such sentiment.

"It's alright, I suppose, not like you were planning on the crazy woman slaughtering all our houses and men." Even as Raina said it she could not believe that it had happened. The fact that one woman had been capable of doing so much damage was mind boggling.

"I fear that I have brought you into a world far more stranger than the one you once knew." Zulo said. His hand rested on the side of her face. He stared straight into Raina's eyes. "But I believe that if anyone is strong and kind enough to handle it, than that person is you." He said.

Raina didn't say anything. She want quite sure why he thought that. As far as she knew the first time they meet had been at their wedding. She doubted he would have heard much about her. She was not as influential as her two siblings. Her sister had the title of the great beauty of Soni and her brother one of the strongest worriers.

Raina was just Raina. She did what she could where she could. The people loved her for that but her simple task were not widely known. 

"Once I am done I will join you back at our chambers." Zulo said placing a kiss at the top of her forehead.

Raina was so surprised by the show of affection she did not have time to process his words until after he'd turned away from her.

Zulo had said their chambers, meaning the same one. With everything that had happened she'd almost forgotten the most important part of the day. Their marriage would not be official until it was consummated.