Eight

Raina jumped back. Zulo held her arms steading her. She stared with wide eyes at the wolf.

"H-h-he's talking." Raina stuttered.

"Yes, about that...there may be a few things I should clarify about Anthos's royal court." Zulo said.

If talking wolves was one of the things than Raina though he had a lot to clarify. She knew the stories about Anthos and she'd seen what Zulo could do but there was only so much strangeness the mind could accept in one day.

Would it be possible for you two to walk and talk. His majesty will want to know about this attack as soon as possible. Azarath said.

Raina looked back down at the wolf. His surprisingly human eyes stared back up at her.

"He's right, wife. We must get going. The castle is not far." Zulo said behind her.

Azarath took the lead. His head moved back and forth as he surveyed the forest in front of them. Raina followed but after a moment her eyes shifted back to Zulo.

Zulo keep his eyes on Azarath, seemingly ignoring Raina's glare. She reached over and and pinched him hard.  Zulo let out a soft growl and turned to look at her.ve

"So?" Raina asked.

"So what?" Zulo asked back.

"Do not presume to play games with me wolf prince. You promised me clarification and I have yet to receive any."

Zulo sighed. "Very well wife, but do not blame me if they are things you are not yet ready to hear."

Raina rolled her eyes. Most likely what she was about to hear wouldn't be good news but she was a big girl. She could handle whatever he sent her way.

"Earlier today you asked me if I was more man than I am monster and the answer is yes. My faction and I are men most of the time." Zulo said.

"Most?" Raina asked.

"Most. The are time, during the full moon to be exact, when we are not. It is during that time that we are able to shift into another form."

"Wolf." Raina whispered looking down at the wolf in front of her.

"Yes." Zulo answered.

There it was. He'd finally confirmed that the stories she been told were not just myths made up to scare Soni children. Beyond their walled kingdom was a world full of monsters that could do things beyond her wildest imagination.

Knowing this should have frightened Raina. She'd seen what the monsters could do when she saw the aftermath of Amytha's tantrum. In a matter of minutes one woman had done what would take a group of men to do without so much as a scratch on her.

Raina did fear that woman and others like her but for some reasons she did not fear Zulo the same way. It was confusing, seeing as how Zulo had killed just as easy as Amytha had.

But hadn't that killing been for her sake? He'd done it to protect her. That made a difference, didn't it?

Raina shook her head. It was all too much to think about. She decided to focus on something else.

"You said it was during the full moon. The moon is not full tonight and yet your companion up there is clearly not in human form." Raina said.

"That is because Azarath chose to stay in that form past sunrise on the last full moon. Whichever shape you take by sunrise is the one you stay in until the next full moon."

"Why did he stay?"

I'm very found of this form, my lady. It has its advantages in combat. I often switch between which form I want depending on the month. Azarath answered.

"Does that mean I will have to spend months were my husband is on all fours?" Raina asked looking back at Zulo.

"That is a possibility. Though as Prince it is often easier for me to work in this form." He answered.

"Will you be different when you are in that... form?"

Raina heard that when they changed they turned into mindless beast. She pictured Zulo as a big growling beast chasing her down the halls of her home. Would he pin her down and sink his teeth into her just like the wild dog had done when she was a child? Raina shivered at the thought.

"I will be no different than, Rath. He is in his wolf from yet he is still capable of holding a respectable conversation. I am still me no matter what form I take on." Zulo said with his head held high.

Raina looked at him and then back at Azarath. She supposed she believed him. So far Azarath had been nothing but respectable. He'd even saved her from the other wild animal.

Raina bit her lip and thought she might try something.

Thank you. Raina thought while staring at Azarath. The wolf showed no sign that he heard her.

"He can't hear you. Our powers allow us to send out thought but because you are not one of us you can't send anything back." Zulo explained.

"But you read my mind all the time." Raina said crossing her arms.

"That is because it is different between you and I."

"How so?"

Raina looked at Zulo. He seemed to be inside her head from the moment they first meet.

Zulo looked away. Raina narrowed her eyes. There seemed to be even more secrets her husband was keeping.

"We are almost to the castle." Zulo said looking back at Raina. "You will need to be mindful of what you say around my father. After so many years at war with your people he has developed a bit of a prejudices towards the Soni."

Raina didn't see why. It's not like the Anthos were being slaughtered left and right. Since the start of the war they barely had a fighting chance. After seeing what the people of Anthos were capable of she know understood why.

"Where here." Zulo said.

Seconds later they stepped out into the clearing and Raina could see the castle of King Zenthos ruler of Anthos. Raina felt a tremble of fear as she stared at the new place she would now call home

🐾🐾🐾Author's note: Thanks to all those who commented and inspired me to keep updating

🐾🐾🐾
Author's note:
Thanks to all those who commented and inspired me to keep updating.

Please continue to comment because it gives me so much motivation!