Chapter 9: A Change of Plans

"Were." Damon almost snarled, taking a step towards Riley. "First, you make me believe you actually cared for me, then you just leave. Oh yeah, and you killed Elena!" he yelled, his eyes seemed as if its icy blue color had melted into a burning flame.

"She's not dead." Riley told him. "After I ran off, I saw Bonnie. She was reciting a spell that allows someone to be protected from death, almost like one of those rings that kept Elena's brother alive and the one that killed your friend, though it can only be used once and it takes much of a witch's strength." she explained.

Damon stared at her,"She's...alive?"

"Yes. I know what they're doing, they want you to turn against me. Stefan angered me on purpose. He wanted me to kill her so that you'd see and want me dead, yourself." Riley explained further.

"Why..." Damon sighed, looking more hurt than ever, then he turned up to Riley. "How did you know that? And... how did you know about Alaric?"

"I've been alive for over 700 years, Damon. I think I know a few spells or two." she replied completely ignoring Damon's comment on Alaric.

"Ok, reasonable. But, Alar-" Damon was shushed by Riley when she grabbed him and sped him off further into the forest.

"What was that about?" he demanded when they finally stopped near a small river flowing throughout the depths of the woods. Small, slender, dark-coloured minnows could be seen swimming down the current, moving along in groups.

"I heard Stefan and the others coming closer." Riley answered and walked over to the river and gazed down into it.

"Um, hello? We in the middle of a situation here!" Damon interrupted Riley from her daze.

She turned and rolled her eyes, "So impatient. You really haven't changed much."

"Just get on with the whole plan thing." he sighed.

"Why do we need a plan? I say we wing it, then kill them." Riley smiled.

"Haha, very funny." Damon mocked her.

"I'm not joking." she replied seriously.

"No! We're not killing them!" Damon yelled and threw his arms up in the air in disbelief.

"But, they're so annoying. Stefan may be cute, but he's too much of a goody two shoes." Riley raised in eyebrow in thought.

"So you've been checking out my brother, that's nice, Riley." Damon scoffed.

"Well, excuse me for keeping my options open," she smirked and punched his shoulder playfully, before stopping dead in her tracks. "Werewolf," she gasped.

Damon spun around to face the familiar canine face of none other than Tyler Lockwood.

"Run,"Riley murmured to him pushing him back.

"And leave you here to get eaten alive? Hell no!" Damon grabbed her arm and flashed away, Tyler hard on their heels.

Finally, the two stopped when they reached a road, their pursuer nowhere in sight. "Come on, apparently, almost every supernatural being in Mystic Falls seems to be after you today." Damon told her. "That was a friend of Elena's. Tyler Lockwood."

"How did he turn? It isn't even a full moon." Riley's eyes were wide with fear.

"Yeah, about that...Long story short, there are now hybrids roaming around Mystic Falls." he explained walking along the side of the road with Riley, hoping to come upon town soon.

"What? I thought those were just things of myth." she gasped.

"Yeah, well so are we." Damon pointed out.

Riley groaned,"How do you kill one?" She began looking up at the sky, as if she expected a voice to magically tell her the answer. "I'm guessing the same way as usual..." she murmured.

"Whoa, hold on." Damon cut in. "As much as I don't like him, we can't kill Tyler."

"Why not?" Riley stopped and walked over to stand in front of him, her eyebrows narrowed.

"Because, he's a friend of Elena's."

Riley's eyes widened, "Of course." Then, she spun back around and kept walking. This time instead of being next to him, Riley walked in front.

"Come on, Riley. Don't be like that." Damon sighed.

Riley stopped again, but did not face him. "She's changed you."

They kept walking in silence for about 30 minutes until they reached the Town Square, where Damon interrupted the muteness with a question Riley obviously didn't want to answer. "So, what did Stefan tell you that made you kill Elena?"

Riley finally turned to face him, her green eyes seemed pained, though her face didn't show it. "Some things should be kept for another time. Not now."