Guns Are For Show - Part 3

Guns Are For Show             

by sloanranger

Part  3

"What about the car?"

"Ah, well sir, that's just it. They kind of scratched it up a little. Cracked two of the windows pretty good, too."

"And how did they do that, Detective?"

"Well it's kind of a funny story, Lieutenant, now I think on it..."

"Hardiman, finish!"

"Well, they was pretty riled up I guess, over Dotty's husband...."

"Dotty?'

"Yes, Lieutenant. Now I look back, of course, I should have seen the signs, but I just had no idea how upset they were. Why, that little one, Angie - she's smart as a whip," he laughed. Shaking his head conspiratorially and lowering his voice, he added: "The older one wasn't that bad herself, if you know what I mean."

"Detective Hardiman - am I to understand you were in some kind of a drunken brawl?"

"Oh, no Sir. Fact is, I don't think any of us had time to take a drink."

Exasperated, Doyle asked: Where are these women."

"Womack's got them in a holding cell, Lieutenant. They was, uh... like I said, kind of a danger...to uh...to me. You know —  so's they could calm down, sort of."

"Have they made a statement?"

"Well, that's the thing, you see, Lieutenant. Not yet; but they did sign charges against the husband."

"Husband?"

"Yeah, well; that's what I was trying to get at, Lieutenant. We brought the husband in a little earlier, you see, and I was there questioning the ladies...."

"Not another word, Detective! You will have someone look at your head and then you will get dressed and you will bring these ladi-these women - to the interrogation room. Immediately! Do you understand?"

Hardiman stood up quickly, "Yes, Sir!" He said, and just as quickly grabbed his head and sat down again.

Doyle returned to the squad room just as Skatowsi entered from the opposite door. Mrs O'Malley could be heard still yelling for her daughters.

"Can't you shut that woman up," Skatowski?"

"Sorry Lieutenant, not really. Is Captain Lally in the building, Sir?"

"I don't know, why?"

"The memo, Sir. Remember; the one especially stating that he wanted to be notified, anything came up regarding council members?"

There had been a slight to-do about one of the council member's wives getting arrested for driving under the influence.  Chief of Police had informed all precincts, that any future dealings with City Council members were to be handled delicately. "For crissake," Doyle muttered. 

(To be continued).