Guns Are For Show - Part 1

Guns Are For Show 

by sloanranger

Part 1

"So, this is the guy, behind the guy?" Skatowsi pointed to a picture in the precinct book, "The Captain?"

"Right," Womack continued. "But any problems, Lieutenant Doyle is the go-to guy. We don't bother the Captain. Got it straight?"

"Got it."

Skatowski had worked inside for three days now. He was settling in at his new job on the front desk but his flat feet had not adjusted to their recent reprieve. Twenty-two years of walking a beat had taken it's toll; tonight he'd soak his dogs while he had a few tall ones with the missus.

Him and the Missus would watch the second game of the '53 World Series first, and afterwards Jackie Gleason on their brand new Admiral TV. Roberta was no beauty queen but she knew how to hand a guy a cold bottle of Schlitz when he got home.

Smiling, thinking fondly of his wife's domestic skills, he was suddenly distracted by a shrill noise coming from the door of the precinct.

"Angieeeee," the voice shrieked. "Dotteeee... Ma's here!!"

A middle-aged woman wearing a red floral cotton housedress came through the front entrance. She had salt and pepper hair and was wielding an umbrella like a weapon.

"Who's in 'chah-ge' around here?" She yelled. She turned towards the center of the room and like a hawk - her eyes lit on Skatowski. "You! " She said, pointing the umbrella.

"Are you the guy in chah-ge? I want to speak to someone in chah-ge!

"Calm down, Ma'am," Skatowsi said.

"Where are my 'goils?'"

"Your girls are missing?"

"Missing? Missing?" she said. "My 'doighter' called me and said you've got them locked up! Dotttteeee!" She shrieked again.

"Have they been arrested, Ma'am?" Skatowski asked.

"Arrested, man-handled and thrown in this Gawd-forsaken place! You get my doighters out here right now!" She railed.

A door opened and a suit came out. "What's all the commotion, Sargeant?"

"One of your men attacked my little goils and dragged them into this horrible place."

"Sounds like her daughters were arrested, Lieutenant Doyle." The desk sergeant said.

"What's your name, Ma'am?" The Lieutenent asked.

"Ethel O'Malley," she said. "Are you the guy in chah-ge here? Cause my sister's 'doighter' is married to ex-councilman Skivers and when I tell my sister how my doighters have been attacked...."

"Lady, please..." the Lieutenant tried to quiet her. "If you'll just let me find out what's happened?" He turned to Skatowsi, "Do we have a report, Sargeant?"

"I don't know, Lieutenant; I just came on."

(To be continued).