Chapter Seven

Friday finally came, and when Raven and I arrived at school I don’t see Draco’s car in the parking lot. I waited for Raven to get out of my car so I could take advantage of the moment of alone time to unleash the tears caused from his absence. But she doesn’t even move.

     “You okay Willa?” she said, her face crunched with worry.

     I swallowed the lump in my throat before I eventually said, “I’m fine.” I’d wanted to just get out of the car, right now, but I was dumb enough to ask, “Why did you ask?” Curiosity had gotten the best of me.

     “Well, it’s because you look like you’ve just had your heartbroken.” I couldn’t help but note that her tone sounded truly concerned. When I didn’t respond, she quickly added, “C’mon Willa, I’ve seen you like this almost every time when Draco pulls a no show. And every time that happens, I can’t but always assume the worst.”

     I looked at her, and I could see that she means it. The tough, black girl exterior I’ve grown accustomed to has transformed into something that a doctor, or a mother would have. But at the same time, I can’t let her get herself into all the secrets I’ve kept.

     So I lied, “Maybe your right, but if he’s not with us for Josh’s play, then all hell is going to break loose.”

     Before she could even have the chance to retaliate, I grabbed my backpack, and got out of the car. But as I neared the school, I could hear Raven, not far away saying, “I hope you’re right.”

     Part of me was hoping that she’d believed my feeble little lie. But right now, I’m not so sure anymore.

     Just like I’d predicted, Draco doesn’t bother to show his face at our table. This time, instead of feeling sorry for myself, I joined in the conversation—which turned into Raven and I trying to ease Josh’s nerves. Though he did specifically instruct that we wear something fancy, so he could identify us through the crowd.

     “Good thing I still got that slutty dress my mom hated.” Raven said, cheerfully, with a smile.

     It was enough to make both Josh and me smile, temporarily though.

     Throughout the rest of the day, I try to put the obvious out of my mind, until I’m finally released from gym, and Raven has been dropped off at her house. After parking my car, I entered the house, and immediately dashed up the stairs into my bedroom. I collapsed onto my bed, and released the tears that always come out on days like this. As much as I wish that I could make the pain and heartbreak go away, I continued to heave out sobs for what felt like hours.

     Then, I felt something cold on my shoulder blade and I quickly turned around, and there he was. He was looking down at me with—for a brief moment—worry, but when my smile broke through, he became relieved. I didn’t even give him enough time to speak before I pressed my mouth to his hungrily.

     A kiss like this always leaves me breathless afterwards, but I don’t care. I wanted him, and nothing but him. His kiss helps me confirm that he is real, and that he loves me as much as I love him.

     “I take it that you missed me?” Draco murmured after pulling apart.

     “You know me.” I said passionately.

     We laughed, quietly, enjoying the inside joke.

     We just lay there on my bed, holding each other and looking into each other’s eyes, for the remainder of the afternoon. If I could I’d stay here, and never leave. The feel of his hand in mine is like ecstasy. And I never want that feeling to end, even if I’m on my deathbed at this very moment. At least I’d die happy.