Chapter Four

When I first came to Houston, and when it came time to select my classes here at Westfield High School…who am I kidding? The counselors didn’t even let me choose my classes. They basically gave me my schedule, and hoped that I’ll just shut up and deal with what they gave me without any complaints.

    The only thing keeping my mind off of the terror of what’s coming at me in P.E. is Draco as he walked me to class. He tried to comfort me by holding my hand; he knew why I hated this particular class, and it’s staring at me right now as she stood by the door to the locker room.

    Hayley Jones, the one person I would’ve loathed even if she didn’t try to steal my boyfriend, stood there, chatting with someone I didn’t recognize, flipping her blond hair repeatedly. But as we got closer, I realized that it was Nicholas Bates.

    “Yes. I was asked to be on TV, but I totally turned them down. It turned out to be a flop.” She enunciated, loudly with her obviously pathetic attempt to try, once again, to make Draco jealous. I could see that she was batting her made up lashes, but her blue eyes remained the same—cold.

    Nicholas didn’t seem interested, but he did put on a good show feigning interest. “Really? That’s too bad.” He said, his voice smooth and alluring.

    I watched as Hayley giggled before flipping her long, blond hair, and entering the locker room. But I could see the mean look she gave me before she walked in, and before Nicholas turned on his heel and walked away, ignoring my existence. But I could’ve sworn that out of the corner of his eyes he was giving me a meaningful look (the move was so quick it could’ve been nothing for all I knew).

    “What was that about?” Draco asked, confused.

    I shook my head. “Nothing, that’s just Hayley, being Hayley.” I muttered unwillingly.

    “Oh.” He muttered, quickly dropping the subject. His lopsided grin appeared. “Good luck in basketball.”

    “Thanks for the heads up.” I said, glad he’s making good with his mind reading abilities.

    Before I could turn to head into the locker room, he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him, and bent down to kiss me. Once again, I couldn’t help but feel my insides met with this kiss. And, like the last time we’d kissed, the bell rings, causing us to pull apart, and go our separate ways.

    I stumbled into the locker room, only to see Kristen Wright, my…um, friend/enemy, waiting for me by my locker. Even though it’s been five months since she broke away from Hayley and her clique, I’m still on the fence about her being my friend. I haven’t even told Raven and Josh about her rebellion, and yet, she hasn’t revealed anything worth divulging to Hayley…yet. So, I guess that makes her my frienemy. Though, sometimes I wonder if she’s just feeling sorry for me, due to my mother’s condition (which she heard from her mom who works with my mom). But I decided earlier that I wasn’t going to find out. for all I knew, she was divulging all of Hayley’s weaknesses and secrets to me, being her ex-best friend, she’d know everything about her.

    “Did you hear? We’re playing basketball today, but don’t worry, I’ll be on your team.” She said the moment my hand touched the combination lock.

    “Thanks.” I mumbled.

    I carefully got dressed in the required uniform as I listened to Kristen’s plan to humiliate Hayley, of course I was already in love with the plan, but my mind was somewhere else. Wondering why in the world would someone like Nicholas Bates would have any interest in being with someone so cruel, and ruthless as Hayley Jones?