Chapter Sixteen.

It makes no difference where, or who you are. Love can and will find you, whether near or far.

Chris’ P.O.V.

The first thing that I notice when I wake up is my killer headache, the second is the fact that the opposite side of the bed is cold and empty. And then last night’s events rush back into my mind and my blood begins to boil. I told her. I told Ari things that I’ve never fucking told anyone before and she just leaves. She put on this whole damn front like she understood where I was coming from and then she does the one thing that I was positive that she wouldn’t, she left. Before I even realize what I am doing my feet are moving me towards the guest bedroom that Ari and MiMi were staying in and even though I know that they won’t be there I check anyways. Nothing.

My feet carry me back to my room where I grab my phone and dial her number, only for it to go straight to voicemail.

“Damn,” I grunt, feeling my body quiver with anger.

“Fuck!”

And then suddenly things are flying across my room; my lamp, my alarm clock, my remote control everything.

“Shit!”

My body begins to violently shake as I recall the last time that I felt this way, which was when my dad left, I’m just hoping that this time with Arielle is different and that she decides that I am enough for her to want to come back.

Arielle’s P.O.V

As I look up at the dreadful house I can’t help but wonder what the hell I’m doing here. I decided awhile ago that I would never return here, for both Baby Girl’s as well as my own sake. But here I stand, in front of this hideous yellow house, for what I hope to be the last time.

***

It has been eight hours since I woke up next to Chris. It’s been eight hours since I grabbed Baby Girl and walked all the way to Sharon’s house in the rain. The phone calls from Chris started coming at about noon and they haven’t stopped since. I know I should probably answer his calls and explain to him why I left, I mean he deserves that much, doesn’t he? But that’s the thing, I can’t even figure out for myself the crazy things that are going through my mind. It’s like one minute the only thing that I had to worry about was Mimi and myself, and now I have to sort out these damn feelings that I have for Chris. I didn’t sign up for this at all.

***

You see my plan was supposed to be flawless; I was supposed to stop by Sharon’s house and pick up me and Baby Girl’s things and then see what happens from there. But what I didn’t count on was someone actually being there when we showed up. So when we get there and find Sharon sitting on the couch it’s a big surprise, expecting Ramon to be somewhere close by I quickly scope out my surroundings.

“He’s not here,” she says her voice sounding completely hollow.

Now I’ve seen Sharon when she’s having a bad day, but this is something serious. This isn’t Sharon sitting in front of me; this is simply an empty shell of what is left of her. Her usually golden skin is now a sickly pale color and her eyes look cold and void of any type of emotion besides pain. I don’t like Sharon and I never have but I’d have to be a heartless bitch if I said that seeing her like this didn’t pull at my heartstrings in some type of way.

“What do you mean he’s not here?” I ask her, still a little on edge.

Baby Girl tightens her grip on my hand and looks around the living room as if Ramon is going to pop up from around the corner at any second and come snatch her up.

“He’s not here, he’s gone,” she declares once again, swinging her eyes around to meet my gaze.

The look that she gives me breaks my heart.

“Did you know that I had a son?” she inquires, but she doesn’t give me enough time to reply. “Ray loved him to death, and a piece of him died inside when Jr. was diagnosed with cancer. He tried to fight and battle it out but his little body couldn’t handle it, he was only a few years older than Ami’Yah when the disease finally took him away from us.”

Tears begin to steadily stream down her distraught face.

“Ray started to treat me so wrong after Jr.’s death, but I couldn’t let him go because when I looked at him I saw our son. I’ve always had the hope that Ray would come back to me as soon as he realized that the grass wasn’t greener on the other side, but he never did. I’m not trying to excuse Ray’s choices because he was so wrong for the way he treated you girls, I just want you to know that I’m sorry. Ramon is gone and he isn’t coming back, I respect myself way too much to remain in that position.”

Silence is all that followed Sharon’s little speech. I didn’t know what to say, oddly enough I felt like nothing really needed to be said. Sharon didn’t say what she said for us, she said it for herself, this whole thing is somehow part of her healing process and she can’t truly move on and live her life until she knows that she hasn’t left any loose ends.

To me this moment seems way too precious to ruin with unnecessary words, so I simply reply back with a slight nod and sad smile. I take Baby Girl to our room and I pack up everything that has ever belonged to us, which isn’t much. When everything is all put away I lift up the mattress to my bed and remove the small shoebox from the hole in my box spring.

“Ellie, what is that?” Baby Girl curiously asks as she peers into the box that holds the only things that we own that have any true value.

I pull out the things one by one, “This locket used to belong to our mommy,” I tell her lifting up the solid gold necklace from the box and placing it into her chubby hands. I then take out an old crumpled picture, “This is a picture of you me and Mommy when you were a little baby,” Lastly I pull out a large wad of cash, “and this is all the money that I have saved up over the years from working at the diner.”

I look down at MiMi to see her wrestling with the locket trying to get it open, when she finally does she raises her head to look at me, her large doe eyes looking at me in wonder, “ Ellie why Mommy have a picture of us in her locket?”

“Because Baby Girl she used to always say that we were her heart.”

**

When we make our way back downstairs we find that Sharon is no longer there.

“Sharon?”

When she doesn’t reply back I walk around to the kitchen. When I don’t spot here in there I turn to the door, just as I’m about to leave I am stopped when I see an envelope that is addressed to me sitting on the kitchen counter. A gasp escapes my mouth as I see what is inside, there’s at least two grand in cash inside of the envelope with a short note from Sharon, instructing me to not make the same mistakes as she did. And although Sharon never really was a dependable factor in my life I silently promise the follow her wishes.

Boom!

‘Oh CeCe you haven’t updated in like three months, you’re a terrible person!’

I know my bad! But school was kicking my butt like foreal! I am back now so that’s all that matters, however I can’t promise a quick update after this chapter because track season starts this week and I’m gonna be way too focused on not dying (not even over exaggerating!) to post a chapter. Sorryyy.

So this chapter was interesting huh? Ramon’s still an ass but at least y’all kinda know why now. And I’m pretty sure y’all are gonna comment on the whole Chris part in the beginning, trust me when I say that I know what I’m doing, they’re both a mess right now and it’ll all be cleared up(..kinda…) later. Yes my little duckies Arielle is a dumbass I realize that as well! Lol.

Oh ANNOUNCEMENT! So after this story is over there is going to be a sequel *gasp* and another installment after that. *faints* So with that being said you guys will probably hate how this story is gonna end but by the end of the third story you’ll love me so just stick with me!

20 VOTES AND COMMENTS FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER!

CeCe Monae