Chapter Twenty-Nine

As I expected, I was thoroughly reamed out for missing Christmas morning. The twins and Mae were still at that age where they woke up at six AM and expected everyone to be downstairs to open presents at precisely that time. So imagine their surprise when it was eight o'clock and Marley still hadn't shown up. Not only that, but no one knew what had become of her and she wasn't answering her phone; which started a global event that lasted three hours calling everyone and asking where Marley was.

"I just wish you would have told us, that's all," Aunt Nelly muttered as she poured her fifth cup of coffee.

"I know," I repeated for the hundredth time. "I didn't plan anything."

Above her glasses, Aunt Nelly gave me a look. "Not planning is how little surprises happen." She made a gesture of a bulging belly.

"Ew, Aunt Nelly, come on that's not even what this is about!"

She shrugged as she sat down to read her morning paper....on her tablet.

Christmas was almost a week ago...which meant Landon only had a week left before he'd be boarding his plane back to Massachusetts to the school he didn't want to be in. Ever since Christmas Eve/Christmas day, he and I had text nonstop or been talking on the phone nonstop. Sometimes it was about nonsense, but if we hit the two AM mark, we'd get pretty deep and honest. Lately, staying up until two o'clock in the morning, or later, was our norm. And I loved it.

"So, speaking of Mr. Bad Influence, what is going on between y'all?"

I almost spit out my coffee. It was so laughable to think of Landon as a bad influence. "First, if anything Landon is the best influence. And second, we're just friends."

Without looking up from her tablet, Aunt Nelly murmured, "Mhm."

"Really."

"Sure, dear. Whatever you say."

I rolled my eyes and went back to my phone.

"You're pretty much glued to that thing," my aunt noted.

"Weren't you the one who said I needed to get out more and meet friends?" I snapped.

Aunt Nelly held up her hands in a surrender position. "I'm not bashing, just saying. I think it's a great thing, actually. I just prefer them not keep you away from your phone or family on Christmas day, that's all."

I groaned. "Oh my God, you are never gonna let this go are you?"

She gave me a secret smile.

"Nell!" my uncle bellowed from down the hall.

"Kitchen," she answered, daintily sipping her coffee.

It caught me off guard sometimes how beautiful my aunt truly was. Her dark hair was pulled back in a sleek low ponytail; not a wisp in her face. She had one leg delicately crossed over the other, her coffee hand poised and at the other while the other held her tablet—a new Christmas present. Her posture was straight but relaxed. She was the picture perfect morning person. It was still early and the kids weren't up. This was her time all to herself. She was radiant in the sunrise light seeping through the kitchen curtains.

Breaking my thoughts, Uncle Harmon rounded the corner. He remained awkwardly in the doorframe, eyes trained on his wife. He cleared his throat.

"Yes, dear," my aunt said softly, never looking away from her screen.

Uncle Harmon's eyes darted nervously towards me. "Um...I've got some news?"

Aunt Nelly's face contorted into an annoyed frown. "Is that a question?"