Chapter Five

I thought maybe it would be weird, having Lissie back. But after only two days we all fell back into our old patterns—with the exception of Brady. He was very gracious with the craziness that resided within the walls of the Mallory home. It wasn’t easy being among the Mallorys. We were obnoxious at times and quiet as mice other times—and, yes, although I obtained a separate last name, I did consider myself a Mallory. Brady was a real trooper if he could handle all that with a smile on his face. He seemed to genuinely like our company.

  It was nice, having her back and meeting Brady. But I’d be lying if I said watching the twins show off all day was enjoyable. Needless to say, I was a little glad to be going to work—which was a first.

  If I’d have only known I was still going to be dealing with twins even at work….

  The Nelsons and Smithsons surprised me. Apparently neither Kim Nelson nor Allison Smithson felt like cooking, apparently. As far as I knew, their family get-togethers were always at their homes and not Shoney’s. Richard and Allison Smithson were Piper’s parents; and they’d brought with them their three and a half year old twins.

  So there they all sat—the Nelson and Smithson parents, along with their children and grandchild; oh, plus Maddie’s boyfriend Drew—at one of my tables. I loved them all to pieces, but…really?

  “Oh, Lord,” I said, with only slight sarcasm, as I walked up to the busy table. “What did I do to deserve this?”

  “Just be glad the baby’s asleep,” Piper said teasingly. Baby Hunter was in a highchair, fast asleep. I only hoped I could look like her if I ever had kids. A little over three months and she was already back in her slim shape. She’d been one of those women who looked utterly adorable pregnant. It suited her. Her long, dark hair spilled over her shoulders and it look nicer than I’d seen it in months. Baby Hunter must be giving her a few hours of sleep, then.

  Beside her, Liam looked as dashing as ever. I was surprised he was going around without his worn out ballcap on, let alone having taken a comb to his unruly chestnut locks. I was a little more than amazed he’d taken his hazel eyes off that baby for even the few seconds it took to flash me a grin.

  “Hi, Marley!” Maddie greeted. She looked particularly cute today. A few months ago, she’d stopped bleaching her naturally carrot-top hair and instead had gone to a flattering strawberry blonde. It suited her in a way the blonde hadn’t.

  I smiled in earnest. “So what brings all’a y’all here tonight, anyway?”

  “Mama’s gettin’ her kitchen renovated,” Maddie answered just as Kim opened her mouth to answer.

  My eyes flickered to the Smithson twins suspiciously. They were actually pretty quiet kids, aside from when Gracie Lynn decided to throw a fit. With her curly blonde hair and wide blue eyes, she already knew how to work a crowd. That girl could get away with almost anything. Most the time she was pretty sweet, but other times she was a real brat; constantly trying to get her brother in trouble.

  Atticus was different. He had the same fair hair as his sister, but his eyes were as green as Piper’s. He, unlike his twin, was quiet and innocent. To me, the quiet kids were always the better ones. Maybe that sounded mean, but I didn’t mean it that way. I just preferred them. Hey, I had to deal with some pretty spoiled kids in my time working here.