Sneak Peak: "The Lancastrian Queen" - Coming Soon!

This is a sneak peak on my next book - "The Lancastrian Queen"! Stay tuned!

Palace of Tarascona, France. September of 1444.

She knew she had faced more decisive and dramatic moments in her life before, but none of them seemed even slightly close to what Princess Marguerite d’Anjou was feeling at that moment, sitting in her father’s office in Tarascona. Her mother, Queen Isabella gently touched her soft hand. “Do not worry so much.”

“They have been there for hours.” The princess replied, impatiently. “I thought it would be quick.”

“A marriage contract is not done quickly, Marguerite, especially when the groom is the King of England.”

Marguerite looked down, resting her hands on her lap and nervously twisting them. “Does he want to marry me?” She asked, as the foolishly fifteen year old girl she was.

“Of course he does.” Queen Isabella assured her. “Why would he not?”

“He does not know me, maman.” Marguerite replied. “What if he does not like me?”

“He will like you. He likes you already. This marriage will bring a great joy to us all, it will seal the peace between England and France. You should be proud.”

“I am proud.” The princess rushed to say. “And very honored. But how can I know he will like me?”

The Queen sighed, and took Marguerite’s hands inside hers. “Marguerite, do not be so concerned. You are a beautiful and clever princess, and you will be much loved. Your arrival will be a great party in England. Everyone will be waiting for you, and will love you. Your marriage will be blessed, and you will be happy.”

“How can you know?” The princess asked, fascinated by the intensity of her mother’s glare into her own eyes.

“This is how it happens. We have arranged quite a marriage for you. Henry of England, they say, is a handsome young man, and very kind and pious. He is not a violent, selfish ruler. He will like you and will treat you well. With time, you both will grow fonder of each other as you get to know him better, and he gets to know you. Just do your duty and be yourself.”

Marguerite nodded, feeling a little more comforted. Indeed, it was quite a marriage. King Henry of England! For a long time England and France would war against each other, causing great losses for both parts, but none of that would happen anymore; because she, Marguerite d’Anjou, was the French princess chosen to seal that peace treaty. She, Marguerite, would be Queen of England, and she would keep France’s interests in heart. Everyone would be happy, everything would be alright.

At first, she could barely believe her luck. Her father, King René of Naples, was hardly a powerful ruler. He had inherited empty lands, dukedoms disputed by more powerful rulers. He had even been held prisoner by the ambitious Duke of Burgundy, Phillip, for long years of Marguerite’s childhood. Her mother had bravely sent her troops to rescue her husband, handled everything during his absence and tried to negotiate with the Duke. After all, she was the Duchess of Lorraine by right, and she knew how to fight for a cause. Little Princess Marguerite saw her elder sister Yolande being sent away to live with her enemy’s family, for she was to marry their son and seal peace among families. Her own brothers were negotiated to release King René from Burgundy. And after five years, they won.

There was almost no prospect of a great marriage to a second daughter of King René of Naples, not after so many unfortunate events. But Marguerite was also the niece of King Charles VII of France. And he had chosen her to be the one to become Queen. That thought primarily made Marguerite very proud, but also made her wonder why the King of France would send her instead of one of his own daughters. Surely, he could arrange his daughter Jeanne to marry King Henry, that would have made more sense, even though Jeanne was only ten years of age. Perhaps they would have to wait two or three years until the marriage. But, Marguerite thought, perhaps that was exactly the reason why she was chosen: a fifteen year old princess of France, beautiful and ready to marry. And, as far as she had heard, King Henry himself had requested her to be his bride! At the thought of that, Princess Marguerite felt her face warming with female pride and vanity.

“Is it over already?” She asked, impatiently, although she knew the answer.

“Marguerite, patience is a virtue.” The Queen said. “Learn to nurture it.”

“I cannot bear with curiosity! You know how much I hate waiting!” The princess said, standing up and starting to walk nervously in circles around the room. “I do not like waiting!”

“Well, too bad, Marguerite. Sometimes all we can do is wait. We cannot rush what we cannot control.”

Marguerite seemed as if she was ready to reply, but before she had the chance to, the doors of the room opened, and King René entered, a big smile on his face giving away the result of the long meeting.

“It is done, Marguerite.” He said. “You are to marry King Henry of England. You are the Queen of England in waiting now. I congratulate you, daughter.”

Marguerite released the air in her lungs, feeling her whole body being filled with a hot wave of excitement and joy. The contract had been signed; she would be Queen of England.

“It was worth the wait, I see!” Queen Isabella smiled, satisfied.

“Now, celebrate, Marguerite. Your mother and I have a few things to discuss.”

Marguerite curtseyed, beaming with joy, barely hiding her immense happiness. She left the room to give her parents privacy as she had been required. It had been done; nothing could possibly upset her or bother her. Finally, she could think with herself “I am to be Queen of England!”