Chapter 36

Arthur, Prince of Wales. Ludlow, Wales, England; March 1502.

“How is she?” I demanded to know, as soon as the physician entered my office. He bowed his head.

“She is better now, Your Grace. Still fairly weak and must be kept in bed, but as I said, I think she will be alright.”

“Is she awake now?”

“No, I am afraid she is not. She needs rest, Your Grace.”

“I know. When do you think she will awake? I must speak to her, it is an important matter.”

“I do not believe she should be bothered or distressed now, Your Grace,” he quickly replied. “I am sure whatever it is can wait until she has fully recovered.”

“I understand,” I replied. “I would like to dine with her.”

The physician went quiet for a moment, as if he was considering it.

“Very well,” he said at last. “But do not eat from her plate or share her drink. Just a necessary precaution.”

I nodded and dismissed the man. In my hands, there was a sealed letter that I had not yet decided whether it should be sent or not. Ever since I had read my mother’s letter, I had not a minute of peace or clear mind. I had the need to understand the situation better, to hear it from the people involved, to feel its accuracy.

It concerned me to leave Catalina ill in Ludlow, but I had been considering the possibility of riding to London. Exchanging letters was just not enough, the case was too serious.

“Your Highness?” A female voice called me, awakening me from my thoughts. I looked up to see Lady Margaret Pole curtseying by the door.

“Lady Margaret,” I said. “Please come in.”

She graciously stood up and walked towards me. I had never in my life considered Lady Margaret’s life; she was the daughter of the foolish Duke of Clarence, brother to my mother’s father, King Edward IV. Had grown up as a Plantagenet princess, an early orphan as her father was executed for treason and her mother died in childbed. Lady Margaret lost her status of Princess and was forced to forget everything she knew, being married off to a man far below her birth and sent off to Wales. That woman had lived so much, lost so many beloved ones, and yet, she was able to come to me with a kind smile, as if she did not know most of her losses were caused by my father.

“You asked to see me?” she said, politely.

“My Lady Mother has sent me a very important letter,” I said. It was not necessary to get into details; she knew exactly what I was talking about.

“Ah, yes.”

“What should I do?”

Lady Margaret raised an eyebrow. “You should do what you believe is right. Consider both ways carefully. I know it is a grave situation, but now that you know about it, there is no turning back, there is no ignoring.”

“My conscious will not leave me in peace.”

“No, it will not. But I think you have made up your mind.”

I looked down. “Yes, I have.”

“Then you must do it,” she replied in a low voice.

“I shall.” I put the letter inside my coat. “I shall go London today, after I eat with Catalina.”

“Today?”

“I cannot have it in my mind any longer, Lady Margaret, I must do something about it. It cannot wait.”