Chapter 6

I woke up to the sound of a small cry, which then started up into a  wail for Mum. I heard Mum get up in her room where the crib was and gently pull Maddie up and feed her. I was not glad at all to have a baby sister, she was so noisy and had to have the attention all the time! Tomorrow Nan and Pop were coming to see her, not their first granddaughter which is much more nicer - and quiter, but her little, loud sister. The thought made me furious, why God, why did you give me such a bad sister.

"Honey, honey wake up, Pop and Nan are here."

I woke to Dad's gentle rocks to wake me, I bet that was another thing that he does to Maddie.

Through sleepy ears I heard Nan's high voice:

"Awwww, she's just darling!"

I raced out of bed and down the stairs to see Nan and Pop playing with Maddie on a baby pink rug, my baby rug. I slowed my pace, shocked to see how Nan and Pop could betray me like this and replace me.  My thoughts jumped around in my head like a frog.

'Ha, of course, my perfect sister gets all the perfect stuff.'

'What's so good about, Maddie? I'm the one that doesn't dribble and basically upchuck everything I drink and eat.'

'Ugh...why her?'

'What about me? It ain't fair for me! I'm older.'

I decided to just go back upstairs, Nan hadn't noticed me and neither had Pop, they were too busy admiring Maddie. She was like a drug that they were addicted to and couldn't tear their eyes away from it. I guess I was the only one notice that I had left the room. I was ready to run away.