Chapter 4

The small thing felt so fragile in my arms, it's short, pink fingers reaching out to my curly hair. The thing grabbed it hard and pulled, I screamed. How could this thing pull my hair and this is the time it is supposed to make friends! I hate this little person. Without realising it I release both my hands to ease my hair back into the roots, the little person dropping to the floor, I braced myself for a scream and splat, but there came none. I waited a little longer. Still nothing. The floor wasn't that far away, was it? I slowly open my eyes. Mum is bent down just before the floor with the small human in her hands. The angry little thing is looking google-eyed at Mum, probably sucking up to get on her good side after pulling out half the hair on my head! How dare that little monster come in and take over my mother! I felt Dad nudge me, suddenly realising that I was pulling a face I fixed my face into a regular expression - not happy, not angry or sad. Mum looked at me as she recovered from her catching position standing up slowly and carefully.

"Honey, meet your new sister."

Ugh, a sister, I should have known - pulling my hair, getting on my mum's good side to be the favourite daughter. Grrrrr...

I felt bad, I should have been happy and excited, but why couldn't it have been a brother? Did Mum just have a girl to annoy me? I looked back at her, she was looking at me with hopeful eyes, urging for me to show my reaction. I plastered a smile on my face so Daddy wouldn't poke me again with his elbow, especially in my weak spot under my ribs. Mum smiled back, except with a real smile and so did Dad.

"Her name is Maddie."

"She looks like a Maddie too." I say with a flat voice.

"Now Georgie, we don't want you getting jealous of her, just because you have a sister now doesn't mean we love you any less."

Pffft, I thought in my mind, hoping that I didn't say it out loud.

I didn't. If I had Dad would have poked my again and Mum wouldn't still be smiling. I sighed, for once my thoughts stayed inside of my head.