Chapter 4

Layne paced back and forth in Nathan and her's bedroom, Esther clutched tightly against her chest. She stopped to stare at Nathan's side of the bed as tears began to well in her eyes. Nathan had been gone more than an hour. What if he was hurt? What if he was--? No she couldn't think that way. God, help me. I feel so alone, I need you. I need you now. Please keep Nathan safe. Layne sent her plea to heaven, her heart heavy with worry. She suddenly felt the heaviness lifted as God's warm, surrounding presence overwhelmed her. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. Thank you, Lord. She moved to her side of the bed and nestled Esther up beside her. The baby's eyes fluttered closed instantly, as if she could feel God's comforting arms around her as well. Layne reached for the worn bible on her bedside table and held it tightly against her chest. She flipped it open and read the first verse her eyes landed on. "Though an army may encamp against me, My heart shall not fear; Though war may rise against me, in this I will be confident. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavillion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me High upon a rock. (Psalm 27:3)"  Layne leaned back against the head board. Lord, take Nathan to your secret place. Layne closed her eyes, one hand resting on the smooth leather of the bible and the other upon Esther's small frame. She drifted into a light sleep, God's presence soothing her frightened soul.

The sound of the door into the cabin being thrust open woke Layne. She pulled Esther in to a tight embrace and tried to make her self as small as possible. She shivered as heavy, dragging footfalls sounded outside the door. They stopped suddenly and Layne held her breath.

"Layne?" She recognized Nathan's deep voice through the door and let out a deep breath. She laid Esther down, slipped silently from the bed, and unlocked the door, falling into Nathan's arms.

Layne spoke in a frenzy, "Nathan, I was so worried. I thought you were--."

"Shh, Layne it's alright," his baritone voice quieted her and she shivered against his strong chest. She pulled away, holding on to his arms. Layne looked down at his shirt, eyes widening as she saw the deep blood stains.

"Nathan. Nathan, what happened? Are you okay?" Layne's voice trembled with worry. Nathan took her hands and pulled her down on to the couch and then sat beside her.

"Honey, I need you to listen, okay?" Layne nodded hysterically, "There was footsteps leading away from the cabin and I followed them. I found a woman at the end of them, Layne. She was dead... I buried her a little ways away and sent in a picture to the police. They can't get here because of the snow storm. We need to stay inside, with the doors locked. Do you understand?" Layne looked at him increduously.

"And..and the b-baby?"

"I told them about her too. They said to keep her safe until they can get to her. They think that women may have been the baby's mother," Nathan spoke slowly. Layne's eyes welled with tears and she buried her head into his chest. He rubbed small circles into her back and rocked her like an infant. Sobs racked her body. Poor Esther. She no longer had a mother and probably didn't have a father either. And the police...they were going to take her away from them. She looked up into Nathan's dark blue eyes and reached up to smooth his ruffled black hair. He smiled lovingly at her.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that, sweetheart," Layne started, "You were so brave. I love you."

"I love you, too," was all he could manage as he stared back into her shimmering emerald eyes. Layne had never felt more in love than this moment. Even though she never wanted to move she reluctantly stood up.

"I bet your hungry. Let me make you something," Layne watched him as he smiled gratefully up at her. While she walked to the kitchen, she watched as his heavy eyes drifted closed and his breathing grew softer. He must be exhausted, he had just buried a dead women. Layne couldn't even imagine how difficult that must be. She reached up into the cabinet and pulled all the ingredients out needed to make Nathan's favorite meal, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes. She smiled as she mashed the potatoes and thought of the most special day of her life...

Birds chirped in a beautiful love song among the trees which were silhouetted down on the white pavement. White rose petals littered the path that led to the man of her dreams. The sun was slipping down on the horizon, casting a warm glow on the earth. Layne looked up through her veil and stared at the congregation that stood and turned to look at her, eyes lit up with pleasure. She smiled and stepped delicately forward, gripping her father's arm tightly with her hands. Her father was in his mid forties with a round, smiling face and brown hair, much like her own. The happy tears that rained down his face surprised her and caused her own to spill. She took a deep breath and took another step and another. The warm sound of the orchestra playing her wedding song rang sweetly in her ears. She took rhythmic steps until she reached the pavilion. Nathan stood waiting for her with his hands behind his back. When she looked at him his smile lit up. He looked more handsome than ever; his black suit bore a red rose and and his thick black hair was brushed neatly to the side. He came down to meet her and her father handed her over to him, a satisfied smile on his face. He whispered the words, "I love you" and backed away. Nathan and Layne moved up the stairs and listened as the preacher spoke the simple, but beautiful words. The repeated after him,

"Nathan Brown, do you take this women to be your wedded wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her in sickness and in health, remaining faitful to her as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Layne Williams, do you take this woman to be you wedded husband? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him in sickness and in health, remaining faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Then by the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride." Layne closed her eyes and held her breath as Nathan's soft lips came down on hers.

The smell of the finished chicken fried steak shook Layne from her thoughts. She put the mashed potatoes and chicken fried steak on a glass plate and soaked them both in gravy, just the way Nathan liked it. She poured him a cup of hot chocolate and carried the plate to where he still slept on the couch. She sat them down on the coffee table and sat down beside him. Layne shook his shoulder gently.

"Time to wake up, sweetheart. Your food's ready." Nathan opened his eyes and smiled at Layne.

"Mmm, my favorite. I could smell it miles a way," he whispered softly, the sleep seeming to have done him some good.

"Good, then you better eat all of it. It's time to feed Esther, so I'm going to do that and then I'll eat." Nathan was about to protest, but she lifted a finger to silence him. "I'm not starving. I'll be alright for a couple of minutes." Nathan eyed her curiously, but didn't say a word. Layne entered the bedroom and picked Esther up off of the bed, taking a minute to look at the bible and thank God for keeping her husband safe. Esther's blue eyes blinked open, reminding her of Nathan, and she started wailing. Layne rocked her to try and calm her.

"It's alright, baby girl. I know you're hungry. I'm going to make your bottle right now." Layne continued to speak softly to her as she mixed up the formula and popped the bottle into Esther's mouth. "There you go," she murmured as Esther made soft sucking sounds and cooed through the bottle. Layne didn't know how she would manage without this wonderful baby girl in her life. She knew she had to do everything in her power to make sure she stayed safe...and in her life.