Chapter 1

A baby cried out into the night. Its wail echoing off the cold stone walls that contained it. The baby was a little girl. Her clothes were diminished to rags and they hung loosely off her tiny frame. She was covered in dust and her little hands clenched tightly together in fear. Her breathing was ragged and came in shallow quick breaths. She cried out once more, but there was no answer...

Layne's boots crunched in the deep snow as she walked among the snow-glistening trees. Icicles were lined along the lower tree branches, reflecting Layne's appearance. Her long brown hair flowed freely down to her waist and the hue of bright green eyes made one think of spring. She was bundled tightly in her fur coat that her husband, Nathan, had given her and a wool hat that warmed her ears.

Layne smiled ahead as her two husky's bounded around eachother, barking joyously. The oldest husky, Max, a light brown and white speckled fur-ball was Layne's protector. He never left her side. The youngest husky, Keni (Kee-nigh), was the traditional husky color. Gray with a white face and pink nose. Keni seemed to never run out of energy; he was the life of the party. Layne loves the life she has. She lives high on the snowy mountain with Nathan, Max, and Keni; and that's the way she wants it to stay forever. Layne smiled to herself as she thought about her husband waiting anxiously for her return. She told him she would be back soon and she figured she probably should keep that promise. 

"Max! Keni! Come," she commanded them to her side. Max barked happilly and bounded over to her. Layne chuckled and watched as Keni sniffed the ground curiously. "Keni!" Keni looked back at her, but stood his ground. Suddenly, a loud howl broke from his throat and Layne stepped towards him. "What is it Keni?" her voice softened to a whisper and Keni whined in reply. His front paws quivered anxiously and he looked straight ahead.

Layne followed his gaze to a small cabin, standing eerily a few feet ahead. Its stone bricks were scattered everywhere and pieces of abandoned firewood were strewn about. Something sounded inside and Keni and Max's ears perked up. Max nosed his way up to the cabin and whined at the door. He lifted his paw and scratched frantically at the rickety wooden door. A whimper came from inside, then rose to a piercing wail. A baby?

Layne walked to where Max was continuing to scratch frantically and yanked open the door. Instantly, the smell of rotting wood and neglect reached her nose. She pulled back in disgust before entering. The cabin was dark and it took her eyes a little while to adjust. In the corner, an old crib lay, dusty and worn. Whimpers continued from the crib and Layne approached cautiously. Inside, a tiny baby lay wearing tattered and torn clothes. Layne gasped and reached inside, maternal instinct taking over. The baby was cold and Layne pulled her closer to her chest and snuggled her into her warm coat. On one of the crib boards a name was written in pink cursive: Esther. There was no sign of anyone being here in a long time. Dust had gathered on the floor and the only footprints that showed through the dust were her own. Esther shivered against her chest.

"We need to get you home," Layne said softly, more to herself than to the baby.