Chapter 2

Layne walked as quickly as she could through the snow-covered trees towards her cabin home. Keni and Max trailed behind, their tails tucked between their legs.

"It's alright boys," Layne called behind her. Keni wagged his tail timidly and Max nuzzled her free hand with his snout. She had the baby tucked tightly into her winter coat, relying on her own body heat to warm the shivering child. The trek home was long and trecherous. Layne tripped constantly over branches and trees that had fallen from the weight of the snow. The dogs stayed close to her side, sensing that something was wrong. The cabin came into view and Layne breathed a sigh of relief. She picked up her pace and walked up the porch steps. They creaked loudly, making Nathan aware of her nearing pressence. The door shot open and Nathan approached rapidly.

"Layne! I've been worried about--" He looked from me down to the tiny baby bundled in my arms.

"I found her in an abandoned cabin, Nathan. She was all alone. I couldn't--"

"Layne. We could get in huge trouble for this," Nathan began pacing back and forth across the front porch, "What if her parents come back? They'll sue us, Layne. And you know we don't have the money for that!"

Layne reached out to still him. "Nathan, listen to me. She was all alone. Look at her! No one's taken care of her in days. Can't we at least go inside and warm her up." Nathan's angry expression turned to an apologetic look.

"I'm sorry Layne. You're right. Come on," Nathan ushered Layne and the baby in the door. The dogs followed, huddling together on the carpet in front of the fireplace; their usual spot. Nathan took her from Layne's arms and smiled warmly down at the little girl. "What's her name?"

"Esther. I found her name enscribed on her crib." Layne busied herself looking through the old wooden box that rested in front of their bed. She found an old baby outfit of hers her mother had given her and her old, favorite baby blanket. She walked over to where Nathan was pulling the dusty rags the child was wearing off her fragile body. Layne took over and put on the pink cotton sleeper before wrapping her in the blanket.

"There, that should warm her up." Layne picked up Esther and smiled down at the sleeping child. Nathan wrapped his arms around her waist and whispered in her ear, "I'm going to have to use the dog sled to get down the mountain to the supply store. They should have some formula there." Nathan and Layne had a truck, but it could rarely be used do to the snowy weather. Layne nodded silently and turned her head to smile at him.

"Max. Keni," Nathan called comandingly, but softly so he wouldn't wake the baby. Max and Keni obeyed instantly, following him out into the frigid air. Layne watched out the window as he hooked the eager dogs up to the sled. She heard the muffled voice of Nathan commanding them forward and watched as they disappeared across the snow covered land. She shivered just thinking about her husband being out there in the increasingly dropping temperature. Layne turned her attention back to Esther. She had popped her hand in her mouth and suckled on it unconsciously as she slept. Layne marveled at the child's beauty. She was most likely around two months, she judged by the shape of her skull and her size. Tiny curls of silky brown hair covered her head, and she had long, beautiful eyelashes. Layne hummed softly to the tune of 'Jesus Loves Me' and rocked Esther in her arms.

It was nearly two hours later when Nathan returned. Layne rushed to greet him. She had laid the child down on her and Nathan's bed.

"Nathan," she said, smiling at his rosy cheeks. She hugged him and pulled him into the cabin. "Esther's still asleep, but I'm thinking we should wake her to feed her." Nathan nodded his agreement as he laid the sack of supplies on the kitchen table. He pulled them out one by one.

"I got some bottles, infant formula, burp cloths, blankets, clothes," Nathan paused, "Oh, and I got this." He unloaded something outside from the sled and brought it back in. "A crib."

"You love to over do it, don't you honey?" You could hear Layne's smile through her voice. Nathan pulled her into a hug, laying his head on top of hers.

"Anything for my wife." Layne couldn't have felt more lucky to have someone like Nathan. He was wonderful. "Now for the task of feeding the baby. I've never done this before so don't laugh." Nathan gave her a funny look and it took all off her strength to hold in her laugh. Nathan took out the formula and a bottle. "Okay...now you put the formula in..." He poured in about four ounces worth of formula. "Uh, why isn't working?"

"Water, Nathan, Water." Tears streamed down Layne's face, she was trying to hold in her laugh so hard. Nathan gave her a clueless look. She grabbed it from him, having enough, and finished preparing the bottle. Nathan went into the other room and picked up Esther, bringing her back to Layne. Esther had woken, and her dark blue eyes peered at her curiously. "Hey baby girl. Are you hungry?" Layne took her from Nathan's arms and began feeding her. Esther suckled silently on the bottle, never breaking eye contact with Layne.

"She's beautiful," Nathan marveled, standing close to Layne and watching over her shoulder.

"Yes she is. God made her perfect just the way she is."