Chapter 4.

• Dedicated to My Dad; Thank you for all the help.

The next week past in a blur, daily routines and tasks getting  for her to complete and the smile that she had etched onto her face became more forced and awkward. It was safe to say that by the time Saturday came; Ayla was too exhausted to even move. Her body was sore and stiff and her muscles ached far to much to walk. With a sigh she heaved herself of her bed and sat at her vanity in front of the mirror, tracing the dark circles under her eyes with the tip of her finger. All week Ayla had avoided Aaron as best she could. Making Elysia take her to school, sitting outside to eat her lunch and sitting right at the back of her classes. Her body ached for her mate's touch but she ignored it. She was adamant that she could get through this no matter how much her body protested. Running a brush through her limp hair, Ayla forced herself down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Jeez, Ay, you look like death." El said as Ayla slumped into a chair, resting her head on the counter.

"Why're you here?" She murmured into her arms and heard Elysia scoff.

"Rude."

Ayla peered up through her lashes as she felt movement by her head and was met with the face of a grinning Elysia.

"I'm here... To... have a little chat?" 

Ayla inwardly groaned and put her face in her hands.

Of course this was going to happen. Why she stupid enough to think that Elysia wouldn't pry the information from her, especially after she'd changed so drastically, was beyond her. Sighing, Ayla got up and stretched out her aching limbs.

"Come on then." She said already half way out of the room knowing that El would be following close behind, "We'll discuss this somewhere more... private." 

Once in her bedroom, Ayla shut the door and sunk into her bean bag chair, taking a moment to gather her thoughts, before turning to face El who was staring at her with an expectant look. Taking a deep breath, she started from the beginning.

Well here goes nothing.

***

"Oh! Ayla!" El said wrapping her arms around her tightly, whilst Ayla cried into her shoulder. In someway it felt nice having someone else know, having someone to help her get over it all, but it also made everything seem... so much more real. Having it out in the open made her realise how broken she really was, how fragile. She hated it. Taking a shaky breath she pulled away and dabbed her eyes with her sleeve, offering El a watery smile.

"It will be okay. I promise."

Ayla just stared at El with a blank expression, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"You don't know that." She spat venomously, standing up so she was towering over the surprised looking El. "You're not me. You don't know." She sighed and whispered softly, "Just go."

El wasted no time in scurrying out of the room and shortly after she heard the front door close. Sighing again Ayla headed down the stairs feeling so much worse than before.

***

"Oh Aaron..." A soft moan came floating out of the living room as she passed by, catching her attention. Turning back she slowly pushed open the door to the room and peered inside, the sight making her stomach turn.

Mara and Aaron... On the sofa... clothes scattered everywhere.

Her stomach twisted and her heart dropped as she let out a quiet sob. She saw Aaron's head snap up as his crystal blue eyes met hers and the look of shock and guilt flitted across them. Turning away, she mumbled an apology and shut the door quietly before making her way, quickly, into the kitchen.