Chapter 2.

• Dedicated to Beth Rees-Quaife

"Happy Birthday, Ayla!" Adina and Dillion's voices chorused as she entered the kitchen, making her grin widely at her parents as she hugged them. 

"Thanks Mum! Thanks Dad!" She giggled, her mum handed her a thin, square box with a sleek, black ribbon. She shook it gently, holding it up to her ear, glancing over at her grinning parents with curiosity.

"Just open it!" Adina said impatiently causing her dad to chuckle beside her. Ayla looked at her parents for a few more moments before looking back at the box, placing it on the side, slowly lifting the lid and peered inside. Her curiosity grew as the light reflected off of silver nestled amongst green, silk material. Carefully, as if scared to break it, she lifted the dress from its confinements, letting the material unfold in front of her eyes, the sight making her gasp. It was beautiful. The deep green material flowed like water to the knee, thin straps dusted with silver jewels that curled around and covered the bust. She let her touch run along the soft material, letting it fall through her fingertips, a wide smile spreading across her mouth as she threw herself into her parent's arms.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She squealed, only pulling back to look down at the dress in her hands with adoringly once again.

"So you like it?" Her mum said happily causing Ayla to look at her like she was crazy.

"Like it?" She questioned, shaking her head, "No. I /love/ it, honestly!" Smiling brightly she hugged her parents once again before she put the gift back into its box, the pair dispersing back to their usual breakfast spots at the distraction of their daughter. She could hardly tear her eyes away from the beautiful gift, only doing so to settle upon the counter and pick at the fruit that her mother was preparing for breakfast, looking out over the scene in the kitchen. Her father pressing a kiss to her mothers temple as he took his coffee to his seat, her mothers adoring gaze following his movements as he settled before her attention turned back to cooking. It made her heart feel as full as it always did, it was no secret how lucky she felt to have parents as full of love as they were and she knew one day she would be in their position. The thought made butterflies irrupt in her stomach but not as much in fear like she thought it would be, more so it twisted in... Excitement.

Wait what? Excitement? The feeling surprised and scared her somewhat, it was only the other day she was dreading finding her mate and now she was excited? She didn't feel like it made any sense.

'Of course it makes sense' Her wolf huffed and Ayla had a strong sense that she was rolling her eyes at her, 'It's your mate. Your other half, soul mate, destined partner, etcetera.'

'Know it all.'

'Whatever. Entertain yourself. Go find Aaron.'

'He's probably busy with Mara.'

'Just do it.' She growled and Ayla mentally cringed.

"Jeez pushy much?" She muttered under her breath, jumping off the worktop.

"Say something, Dear?" Her mum asked, not bothering to turn around. Ayla blushed when she realised she had spoken aloud instead.

"Oh.. err.. nothing." She stammered, picking up the box with her dress in off the side, "I'm going to find Aaron." 

***

Stopping in her bedroom as she passed, Ayla quickly took a moment to hang her dress on the wardrobe door– only admiring it for a moment before she grabbed the small box from her beside table and left again. She headed off down the hallway toward Aaron's room, stopping briefly at his door to listen for a moment and check that he was alone. When all that came back was his shallow breathing and the light thrum of tinny music coming through a pair of headphones she was satisfied that he was, in fact, by himself. The thought made her stomach twist with apprehension, causing her to hesitate for only a small moment before she shook it off and let herself in. He was lounging on his bed, like normal, sleepy eyed and hair sticking up at all angels in a way that made her want to tame it. The thought made goosebumps rise over her skin. Frowning lightly to herself she cleared her throat, his eyes snapping open, identical smiles pulling over their faces as blue met grey. She felt her nerves begin to melt away. 

"Why, hello there." He hummed, pulling his headphones out and shoving them aside as he sat up, gesturing for her to join him on the bed. She walked over, grinning as she perched on the edge and held out the blue box in her hand.

"Happy birthday." She said softly, smiling encouragingly as he took the gift from her, "Open it." She urged, nodding lightly toward the present in his hands. After a second he undid the white ribbon that sat on the top and opened the lid, taking out the small wrapped parcel that had taken residence inside. His cautious look turned to one of curiosity as his stared at it, Ayla starting to get fidgety the longer he took.

"Just open it already!" She huffed, playfully annoyed at his slow pace and the ever-building silence that was surrounding them. 

He huffed a laugh and nodded, holding a hand up in mock surrender, "Alright! Calm down!" He said still laughing lightly, only sobering upon catching the stern look she was giving him. Instantly he sat up straighter and quickly unwrapped the paper, his face breaking out in a wide smile that made his eyes light up as he held up the ring dangling from the end of a thin chain.

"Are you sure?" He said looking at her before his gaze travelled back to the gift he held. The ring had been his Grandfathers but his Grandmother had given it to Ayla instead, thinking that Aaron would be uninterested in a piece of jewellery. The image of pure jealously and hurt in Aaron's eyes when she had received it floated into her head as she nodded.

"I'm sure." She returned his smile, face feeling flushed, "It's always been rightfully yours anyway. I was merely holding onto it for you..." He had placed the chain back in the box and pulled her into a bone-crushing hug before she had barely finished talking, the contact making her gasp lightly in surprise. Electricity coursed through her body, making her shiver in pleasure, goosebumps spreading over every inch of her skin before they pulled apart almost instantly. Her head was spinning as she stared at her best friend, shock and confusion and awe twisting at her features, her skin still thrumming and tingling from his touch, her wolf in a frenzy inside of her mind. 

'You're my mate." She breathed.