Mysterious

Jax growled softly when Betty kicked him in her sleep again. Her cold nose was buried in his wolf's fur and her feet kept restlessly kicking him. He huffed when she yet again tossed over to her other side.

She had been like this for the past hour. Her shirt had long since been twisted up around her belly, displaying her long legs and her panties with pictures of candy. It was a nice view, the juvenile panties aside.

He had been debating for a while whether he should shift back into a man or if he should stay in his wolf form. He was bored and hungry. On the one hand, as a wolf he was able to be close to her. On the other hand, being close to her meant getting kicked and listening to her talk in her sleep. He longed to go outside for a run, maybe chase a rabbit or two.

He jumped off the bed after getting kicked again. If he ever slept with her as a man he'd have to tie her up just to get a good night's sleep. Or on second thought, that might not lead to sleeping. He chuckled and walked around her room.

He'd already explored it earlier that day. It was a simple room with a small bed, dresser and bookcase. She had a laundry basket on the floor with unfolded clean clothes. He was not at all ashamed to admit that he'd nosed through it and had come across some appalling information. Every pair of panties was cotton with some sort cartoon theme. Hadn't she ever heard of Victoria's Secret? A thong or lacey panties wouldn't kill her and would be so much more mouth watering.

Betty moaned in her sleep and mumbled about cinnamon cookies. What was it with her and cookies? Even though she was clearly a little batty, he kind of thought she was cute. She made him feel relaxed, like he was finally home after a long journey.

His wolf wanted to either run or curl up and go to sleep, but he had a job to do. It was 1 am and he expected Kilala to show up anytime. He continued to pace around the room. He was getting anxious to see Kilala. Maybe tonight they would solve the mystery of her appearance.

***

Jax had given up and jumped back in the bed. He fell asleep with his head on her belly, one of her hands fisted in his fur.

A soft light filled the room, radiating from Betty. Her body heated up, which is what woke Jax up from his sleep. He growled and backed away, giving Betty space. She was still asleep, but in a deeper sleep than he had witnessed so far. The light got hotter and brighter, nearly blinding Jax's sensitive wolf eyes. Then in a poof of sparkles she was gone and Kilala appeared.

Jax jumped off the bed and quickly shifted. He popped his neck and stood up, flexing shoulders that had been in his wolf shape so long.

"Well, little Kilala, we solved one mystery, but now we have more! How'd you do that sweetheart? You poofed out of damn sparkles- that's some cute shit."

He picked her up and cuddled her to his naked chest. "So tell me the truth, do you remember being Betty? Or are you just a kitten right now?" Kilala mewed and licked his neck before rubbing her head against him.

"That didn't really answer the question, now did it sweetheart," he chuckled and walked with her out of the house. He walked naked across the field and to his house. If anyone was up at this time of night they were welcome to the view.

He met Jason, Luke and James in his living room with a cocky grin. "I know something you don't know," he teased. They were all laid out on the couches and recliners, wearing pajama bottoms and watching Adult Swim.

"Why are you naked? Put some damn clothes on," James griped.

"Why are you smiling like that? What got you all relaxed and happy? You didn't do anything with Betty did you? How'd you pull that off? I think she hates your guts," Jason fired off, curiosity getting the best of him.

"Shut the hell up, I'm always happy," Jax deadpanned.

"Sure, you're a regular happy go lucky guy, Jax." Jason grabbed Kilala, who immediately started hissing and spitting. He just chuckled and let her attack his hand while he waited for his answers.

Jax left the room and pulled on a pair of sweats and a white shirt. When he was dressed he sat down next to Jason and relayed the events of the night. Kilala stopped mauling Jason's hand and hopped over to Jax, purring immediately.

"What kind of creature erupts into sparkles?" Luke asked in wonder.

"None that I know of, and I've been doing research on everything that has an animal form. I'm talking Native American folk lore, ancient mythology, currently known species. I checked legends of species, the national enquirer, and even asked drunk yokels at the bar. No one has heard of a species that is human by day and then turns into a cute little kitten at night. If you add in a glowing light, sparkles and the vanishing act ... It's all unheard of. It's not natural, just like my nose has been saying all along."

"You forgot something, Jason. It also has a late onset. It seems like something suddenly clicked and now she has a kitten out of body experience. She has to be nearing her thirties, usually magical stuff hits sometime during your puberty years," Luke added.

"And her kitten is growing," James said darkly. "What happens when it's full grown?"

They all looked at Kilala, who was definitely growing. She was still tiny, but her stubby legs were a little less stubby and her tail was a little longer.

Jason rolled his eyes at James' doomsday talk. "Sure, when she's full grown she'll eat us all."

"It's not funny, we don't know what the hell she is and we are letting her into our home!"

"She literally pops out of sprinkles! Does that sound like something dangerous? Plus we're big bad werewolves, we can take on a little kitten!"

Jax laughed and shook his head at his pack brothers. "James, keep your eye out. If you learn of something suspicious, let me know. Jason keep researching- I want to know if little miss Kilala is self aware.
     I doubt it, because Betty spoke the truth when she said she had no clue about it, but let's be safer rather than sorry. Luke, keep an eye on them both and help out with anything. I'm going to head over to Betty's and get some sleep. You all have work at Mr. Peterson's house in a few hours, might want to sleep too."

Afterwards, Jax carried Kilala over to Betty's house. He stashed his clothes in her closet and then shifted into his wolf form. Kilala stared at him quizzically, until she sniffed him all over. After she was satisfied that she knew the wolf, she proceeded to romp around and attack his tail. Jax huffed and gently nudged her over to the bed, where they curled up and went to sleep.

That morning Jax was awake when Kilala slowly faded away. He watched as the room filled with a bright light, minus the sparkles, and Betty appeared in the same position where she had originally disappeared.

He nudged her with his nose and noticed that her skin was warm to the touch. Along her bare skin was little swirls of sparkles, but they quickly disappeared. She mumbled about cookies and wonderfuls and then punched him in the face when she turned over fitfully. Oh perfect, she was back to tossing and turning.