Memory Lost - Chapter 8

Chapter 8

As Jane slept, Jax, Jordan, and Davy sat around the kitchen table considering what Jane had said. If she was willingly to do as she offered and cook and clean for them, they would jump at the chance. They really could use help in that area and a live-in housekeeper would be perfect. All they needed to do was convince her to stay.

 This project was much easier to plan than their bigger problem. They had spent the past few years fighting in the ring as they worked their way through college. Now that school was complete and they each had their business degree, they needed to make future plans. Unfortunately as they thought of the future their minds went blank.

All through college, they had steadfastly held to their big plans to open a business together. They knew this was what they wanted to do, but this was a very vague plan. They had pressure from family to find some direction, but more importantly, they had a strong drive that needed a target.

Jax had a large room and not very many things to fill it, so an area was made for Jane. A blanket was hung from the ceiling to give her privacy. Setting up her “bedroom” was presumptuous of them since they hadn’t even talked to Jane yet, but these men were used to getting their own way.

When the guys had offered to let her continue to stay there, Jane had eagerly accepted the offer. She had no idea how long she would need to stay here waiting for her memory to return. It couldn’t be lost forever, could it?

Jane hoped that she could find a way to eventually get more clothes. She had been wearing one of Jax’s oversized shirts to bed every night. She would put it on after her shower and would wash her clothes with a load of the men’s clothes each night. She was getting sick of the same outfit and it had only been a few days. But how was she to buy new clothes with no money and without leaving the apartment. Her clean but overused outfit would have to do.

Tate entered the kitchen, yanked a chair from the table and dropped into it. He looked intently at Jane. Jane could feel his eyes bore into her back. She reluctantly turned around. She knew that Tate didn’t care much for her and wasn’t happy that she was staying with them.

“So who are you, exactly?” Tate asked in a stern slow voice.

“Jane.”

“Jane who?”

Hmmm. How should she answer this. She knew that she owed them the truth but how would Tate respond to the truth? She would guess, not well. She wished that she had previously offered the truth to any of the other guys so that they could have explained it to Tate for her. Although, none of them were quite as big as Tate, at least they were much closer to his size than she was.

“Jane who?” He demanded breaking into Jane’s thoughts and she could tell his patience was wearing thin.

“You see…well, I don’t…remember.”

“You don’t remember who you are? Or is it that you don’t WANT to remember who you are?”

Jane could see this wasn’t going well. If only she could be explaining this to someone else. Tate always intimidated her.

“No, I don’t! I woke up injured in a cesspool masquerading as an apartment with some creep claiming that we were married. I took the first escape that I could find and literally ran into Davy. I have no idea how long I was there or here.” Her voice becoming shaky, Jane turned back around to the kitchen counter to continue mixing her meatloaf, hoping to hide the tears that were pooling in her eyes. She was sure that crying in front of Tate would only infuriate him more.

“Jane, we all aren’t all THAT gullible. My buddies may have fallen for your little helpless act, but I am on to you and I will find out who you really are. When the truth comes out, I would hate to be you, little Miss Con-artist.” Tate said as he slammed his chair back under the table and strolled from the room.

Jane wondered if she should be relieved or worried that Tate was determined to discover who she was. Would the discover of her identity bring good news or bad? She sure wished that she knew…