Memory Lost - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Jane was momentarily stunned from her short fall, but she forced herself to her feet. Deciding to try to confuse her captor, she ran back around the building and away in the opposite direction of the fire escape, hoping that he would expect her to exit the fire escape and immediately run away from the building.

She sprinted through two backyards and ran toward the front of the house closest to her. She figured that being out in the open would potentially keep her safe if there were any witnesses, but mostly she wanted to leave this street of terror as far behind her as possible.

After crossing the street and running a few more blocks, she found herself growing lightheaded. As her head pounded and her energy waned, she knew that she would have to slow down soon.

Still pushing herself as fast as she could go, she risked a glance behind her to see if the pervert was on her tail.

She suddenly slammed into something that felt like a brick wall. She tumbled backwards landing on her back as stars danced before her eyes. She struggled to stay coherent, looking up into the bright hazel eyes of a brute of a man. He was bent over her, looking at her with concern in his eyes.

She realized that he was talking to her. She fought to hear him over the ringing in her ears.

She allowed him to help her up.

“Are you okay?” he asked again.

“Yes, I’m fine.” She quickly reassured him wanting to get moving once again, out of plain sight and farther from her kidnapper.

“But you are bleeding.” The new stranger said.

“What?!?”

“Your head is bleeding.”

She reached up and felt a damp cloth on her head. As she brought her hand down and saw the amount of blood on her hand, her eyes saw blackness and her legs gave out.

Davy caught the girl before she hit the ground. She struggled against the darkness closing in and she fought to regain control. Davy had her upper arms gripped in his hands, “Miss, miss…” he was saying firmly.

“I’m fine.” She breathed out in a whisper. She cleared her throat and said it louder, while taking a step back on legs that felt like they were made of jelly.

Davy heard her words, but the wavering he felt when she tried to take a step, proved to him that she wasn’t fine…