Grief Stricken

(AN: Okay this chapter is pretty good for getting the setting and names of places, etc. Also... I'm about to rock your face off. ;D)

When I got to school the next day I felt the eyes of my classmates boring into my back as I walked down the hall briskly. I wanted to get to my locker. I could hear their whispers, their taunts. I wasn't in the mood. After everything I've been through only in the past day, you'd think that the universe would decide to give me a break. I was used to being a pariah, but I wasn't ready to be thrust into the supernatural world I had always believed in.

I rushed to my locker and started busying myself with looking through it and trading out my books. I heard someone come up behind me and turned sharply to find only Maile standing with her hands up defensively looking scared.

I shook my head apologetically, "Oh my God, Maile I am so sorry. I had a rough night..." I said soberly.

"Tell it's fine, don't worry about it," she said giving a strained smile, "I wanted to talk to you about last night... I sent you a message..." I looked at her bemused, "about the news? Remember?" she started to shake her head with agitation, "Oh never mind! What I'm trying to say is that I have big news to tell you!" she covered her mouth realizing she was yelling that almost anyone in the hall could hear.

I tapped my foot impatiently, "What is it Maile? Spit it out." I hissed. I was starting to get more irritated with everything around me. I just wanted to leave and go home and crawl into my safe bed.

Maile lowered her head and indicated I do the same then she began to tell me the news in hushed tones, "So when I came home last night my mom about suffocated me with a hug. I was a little surprised but I knew there was something wrong. She had been crying for what looked like hours. She told me that they found Penelope Brennon dead on the side of the road." I felt my mouth fall open. I had three classes with Penelope; we never talked, we weren't close... but I had seen her every day... it was weird to think of her as dead. Gone. Forever. I could hear Maile still talking but I didn't really hear her; I wasn't paying attention to the words. I was dumbfounded. Was it so much a coincidence that as soon as the new clan of Shifters moved to town that there was a young girl found dead on the side of the road?

I cut Maile off, "How did she die?"

Maile leaned back away from me looking at me with concern etching her face, "Wait, Tellie, are you alright? I mean I didn't think it would bother you this much... you didn't know her that well and-"

"How did she die?!" I shrieked so loudly that the hallway grew eerily quiet as all of the students turned to look in our direction.

Maile put her hand on my shoulder and leaned slightly with her eyes shifting in all directions then back to me, "Tellie, calm down. Please, you're making a scene. She was murdered... among other things... I really don't think you want to know..."

I felt my knees grow weak and my stomach started to twist into knots. I felt the familiar sensation of my mouth watering warmly; a sign that I was on the verge of being sick right here and now. 

"I thought you were excited about the news Maile?" I said while teetering precariously, "This is not what I was expecting... and why are none of the other kids freaking out about it?"

She was trying to steady me with her hands on my arms, "Tell, this news is kind of under wraps right now. My dad was the one that found her body, he recognized her because he works with her parents; so none of the other kids have been told yet. I wasn't excited, per say... I was more anxious about telling you. Tellie! This is juicy gossip and I'm the first to know! I had to tell you, but honestly I had no idea you would react like this... I'm sorry Tellie..." she had a pleading look in her eyes and I could tell she was sincere.