The Clan Part II

When I got back home that night I thought about everything that happened. Everything that the 'Shifters' had told me and everything that I had figured out. As far as I knew, they did have something strange going on with them. That thing that happened with Rey was so unreal; the storm clouds in his eyes. Mercedes and Fiona scared the hell out of me and Palmer was just so hot and cold. I knew they were something other than human, yet I still tried to convince myself otherwise. I didn't succeed and instead I got the note from my locker at the end of the day.

When I had gotten home earlier I finally read it. It was a map; the school was drawn on it with a line going down West Street then turing onto Randall Road. The line followed down past the many farms down into the area that had lots of dense woods and was normally a good place to hunt for deer.

No way. They did not expect me to go down there. There were so many rumors surrounding those woods; satanic rituals, witchcraft circles and this list goes on. I had even read about rumors of there being vampires in the woods back in the 1800s. I didn't even dare investigate there; it was just one thing you didn't do in my small town. I lived deep in east Texas and there were so many strange things going on there. There were just some places you didn't go and those woods were one of those places.

My cellphone buzzed in my pocket inicating I had a new message. I opened it and found one from an unknown number.

'Have u decided to come?' it said.

I typed back 'Come where? Who is this?' I was sure that it was one of the new kids but I didn't want to say yes and find out it was a trick or someone else. My phone buzzed again so quickly that I didn't have time to think about it anymore.

I looked at my phone and found the message; 'This is Palmer. I got ur # from your friend Miley. So are u coming?'

Ugh. I'd have to yell at Maile tomorrow. 'It's Maile and I'm not sure... the woods u are going to aren't very safe...' I sent him.

I started to pace. There were good things about this situation right? I mean, I would get to be around Rey more... He had a knack of making me get all fluttery in my stomach. Most people didn't even try to talk to me; but I'd gotten used to it. Rey just didn't care about what people said. He had tried to talk to me even though he had heard the rumors. Even though I acted otherwise, I was secretly happy he had shown an interest in me.

My phone buzzed in my hand and I looked at it to find two messages. The first one was from Maile; 'OMG! I have some news to tell u!!!!' Great. Now I have to deal with real drama and supernatural drama. I felt like my life was turning into a horror movie. I typed a reply to Maile; 'Call me later tonight and tell me' then I opened the other message, it was the same unknown number. 'I'll be there to protect u ;) Besides this is supposed to be a date, so it's kinda my obligation.'

Hah! What a self-absorbed jerk. 'Whatever. In ur dreams. I guess I'll go but I want one of u to meet me at the edge of the woods. I don't want to walk through by myself.' I sent back. Maile replied back to me with; 'Kay. Ttyl!'

I got my bag together and made sure to pack the mace my dad gave me. He told me it was in case some pervert tried to make a move. I laughed at the time because no guy had ever showed any interest in me, but I didn't know these people at all so I had to be safe. I grabbed my car keys from my dresser and went downstairs where I found my mom, dad, sister and my two brothers eating dinner.

"Are you going to eat with us Tellie?" my dad asked while raising an eyebrow.

"Uh... no I have a... date." I mumbled.

My brother Harley started laughing obnoxiously, "You have a date?!" he shouted.

My mom rolled her eyes and my dad shushed Harley. "Sweetie you have a date? That's wonderful! Well send us a message with his name and number just in case. Be sure to let us know how it's going at around eight o' clock, alright?" My dad told me. I nodded and turned head out the door while typing in Palmer's name and number on my phone. I sent the message to my dad while walking to my car.