Chapter 21: A Plan

Cade's point of view:

I make my way through the Dome, passing out water bottles, canned food, and blankets to the many people taking refuge here.

I give a word of encouragement to those seeming especially despondent, although nobody really takes kindly to me since I wear a uniform with the insignia of Will's police force on the badge.

I'm almost finished making my rounds through the people when something extremely odd catches my eye:

A raven of all things sits perched on an open windowsill, eyeing me closely.

"Stupid bird," I grumble to myself. "Andrew, finish up here for me, will you? I've got something to take care of," I say, handing the rest of my supplies to the other cop on Dome duty with me.

I go to the window sill to shoo the raven away, but to my surprise, it doesn't even flinch at my appearance.

"Go away now," I tell the thing, but before I can close the window, it tries to peck my hand.

I am quicker, however, and I manage to make my hand as tough as a diamond before the bird can hurt me. The raven reels back and makes a noise of pain that causes me to feel pity for it.

"Ouch, you jerk," a voice says, and I look at the raven in bewilderment and wonder if I'm beginning to lose my mind.

Suddenly the raven begins to morph, growing in size and changing its form to become more human-like. Before I can blink, a sixteen year old girl with black hair and grey eyes is looking at me with an angry scowl.

I back away from the window, feeling sick to my stomach at what I've just witnessed. "The power of Christ compels you," I say to her as I quickly reach to close the window.

"Oh stop it, I'm not an evil monster. My power is that of change; I can turn into animals as well as other people. I came to find you because we need your help," the girl says.

I blink in confusion.

"Ok, slow down. Who are you and what do you need help with?" I ask, confused greatly.

The girls sighs impatiently, glancing around like she's afraid of being caught. "My name is Genevieve; my mom sent me to come and find you. She saw that you would help us," Genevieve says urgently.

"Your mom saw that I would help your family?" I inquire.

"My mom's power is to see glimpses of the future. Her name is Evelyn, my father's name is Caleb, and I have two sisters named Victoria and Jacqueline. My mom saw that we were supposed to help Adam, but the only way we got to him was through a vision she saw that had you in it. Please tell me you understand," Genevieve rambles, looking truly afraid now of being seen by someone else.

Then, I recall an earlier conversation between myself and Cassia where she specifically asked me to find a family, and I remember the parents' names being Evelyn and Caleb.

"You said your mother was Evelyn and your dad was Caleb?" I ask for confirmation, and she nods.

"Yes, I know who you are; my friend Cassia told me about you guys," I tell her, climbing out the window and letting her guide me to where the rest of her family is.

"You know Cassia? Oh that's perfect, I really did find you!" Genevieve says happily as we go down empty streets, pulling me by my hand.