Chapter 29: Interrogation

Adam's point of view:

"Just what do you think you're doing?" I demand of Kyle in our jail cell a couple of days later, nudging him with my foot to get his attention.

Kyle groans from his spot on the floor where he leans against the wall, forcing his eyes open to glare at me. "I was going to sleep, thank you very much."

"Oh no, you've slept enough to last a lifetime. I didn't ask to be shoved into a cell with you, but I had to listen to you snore in the bunker more than enough times. If we're gonna be roommates, I'm not putting up with it here," I tell him, not ready to hear that dreadful sound again.

"I'm not asking your permission, Adam. I'm bored, so I'm going to sleep to pass the time. Goodnight," he responds bitterly, turning so he doesn't have to look at me.

"You know it's the middle of the day, right?" I laugh, wishing he had some concept of time to know that he's been sleeping the equivalent amount of hours as a sloth.

"Will you both please shut up?!" Susan yells at us from the cell she and Cassia share a few feet away, harboring an attitude much too big for her five-foot-nothing self.

"It's not me, it's him," Kyle says in defense, jabbing a finger at me while looking at his angry little girlfriend.

"Susan, why don't you think of sunshine and puppies for a little while? After all, this is your fault," I mock her, making my most valiant attempts to get on everyone's last nerve.

After all, they've been wearing mine out for the past few days.

"How the hell is this my fault, smart guy? I'm not the one who-" Susan tries to fight back, but I cut her protest off before she can finish.

"Well you know, seeing as how your power of joy is the factor that determines if we can stay in a good mood-" I begin to reply, but suddenly Cassia's voice interludes my retort.

"Adam, act like a grown up please. We're in power-proof cells, so Susan can't use her power. Fighting with the rest of us isn't going to solve anything."

I blink at this, having to shake my head a few times to process the sheer audacity and hypocrisy at her statement.

"Excuse me? You're all as much a grown up as I am, and I've had to put up with you all acting like children since we got here! If anyone should be acting like an adult, it's all of you. I've been trying to think up an escape plan since we arrived, but all you guys care about is sleeping and passing time," I accuse them, turning my back so I don't have to see them looking at me like scolded kids.

"Adam, we're doing our best under these circumstances, but an escape plan? Has it not occurred to you yet that this is it? Will's going to kill us," Cassia tries to remind me, but I won't hear any of that.

I'm taking my city back from that poor excuse of a human being with or without my friends' help.

"I'm not giving up," I insist, but Cassia just grumbles and rubs soothing circles over her bandaged shoulder.

Power-proof cells didn't allow her to heal her shoulder or Susan's calf, so they've had to deal with the bullet wounds healing on their own, which frustrates the both of them to no end.

I sink down to the floor beside Kyle, wondering when this group of people that I've known for years decided to actually give up.